Can I refuse to increase meds?

pamital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

So I finally got my head in gear and have been doing the Newcastle diet using slim and save packs along with veg and some protein. My bg results at night and in the morning are now 5. I'm delighted.
However I'm due to go and see my nurse tomorrow for my review. I can see my hba1c results online and it has gone up. About 86 I think. So she's going to want to increase my meds. I'm currently on 4 metformin and 1 glyclazide per day.
It has always been my intention to get off meds.
As I'm now 5 before bed, am I allowed to refuse to increase meds and ask to review in 12 weeks?
I actually plan to do this diet for about 8-12 weeks reducing my meds over time.

pamital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Should add I only began the diet 1 week ago so the hba1c was for before I began.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be easer to just ask your DSN to give you a little more time to show how well you can now manage your bs without the increased meds ...

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course you can refuse treatment but you may lose the sympathy of your nurse. It would be much better to discuss it with her, talk about your plan and agree with her what you do next.

pamital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok I'll try that approach. She's lovely. I'll ask her to give me some time to do this first.

Reactions: 4 people

pamital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With my practice, we can log on and view our results. Cholesterol etc too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@nomoredonuts

I think that in England coded medical records on line are now available for everyone, but you have to complete a consent form from the surgery, provide photographic and address ID and get it authorised by a GP before they will allow you to access it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see all my test results now too, in coded format on a system called SystemOne. It doesn't seem as user-friendly as EMIS, in that I haven't yet discovered a way of collating results together in a format I can create a graph from, but to be fair, I haven't tried tooooo hard.

I thought there was a requirement that patients could access their coded records from March/April (I think) 2016.

It is noteworthy these are coded entries, so in most cases, there are no free text GP input comments available, so they could be considered a bit scant. I do love the prospect of blood results being available to me without the serial harassment of calling the surgery every day until they've been looked at, then negotiating a print out. With the online system, I will have the numbers available to me to use as I see fit.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just showing off now. EMIS can do this.

ojmex0.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

pamital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So my nurse has agreed to test my blood in 6 weeks time again. If my hba1c has come down then I can come off glyclazide. This is great news for me. Then it'll be a check every 6 weeks til I get off metformin too. I'm so happy with this. I am actually buzzing on this diet. Haven't felt this good in a long time.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
So my nurse has agreed to test my blood in 6 weeks time again. If my hba1c has come down then I can come off glyclazide. This is great news for me. Then it'll be a check every 6 weeks til I get off metformin too. I'm so happy with this. I am actually buzzing on this diet. Haven't felt this good in a long time.

Very happy for you @pamital ! Great start and great attitude!

pamital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm delighted to say that since I started diet 10 days ago, my fbg has been 5ish (5.1, 5.2 etc). Lost some weight too. I'm so glad I've started this.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm delighted to say that since I started diet 10 days ago, my fbg has been 5ish (5.1, 5.2 etc). Lost some weight too. I'm so glad I've started this.
Brilliant and well done. Keep it up! Glad to hear you are feeling better while doing the diet.. it's great isn't it?
All the best
Mark

pamital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. Absolutely. It's the best I've felt in a long time.

pamital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a little update. Since I began this version of the Newcastle diet 3 weeks ago, my blood sugars have been between 4.5 and 5.5 any time of the day. Fasting and after food. I feel great. I'm so looking forward to seeing the nurse and hopefully starting to get off my meds. I wish I'd done this sooner! I think really do think the NHS should be advising everyone about this method too.