carbs

powerfulpete

im tring to get to grips with these carbs.having gone onto metformin im trying to sort a decent diet for myself.ive read the nhs advice which says i should be eating starchy carbs and then i read about carb counting.what is a sensible amount of carbs to eat (ie how much bread to eat in a meal) i realise everyone is different but would like a benchmark to start with.i have lost two stone in the last three months so i have been watching what i eat and i just want to try and balance my diet better

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pete

Some people go as low as 30g per day and others stick to between 100-150g per day. It really all depends on how it affects your bg level. That is why you should test 2hrs after eating and then you will know if a particular food causes a spike.
The thread titled "Viv's modified atkins diet" is a good place to start.
Alot of people on here stick to burgen soya and linseed bread which is low GI and doesn't cause a spike. Personally, I have 2 slice at luchtime with some cold meat. There's about 10g carbs in each slice.
Sounds like you have been doing really well so far in losing 2 stone in 3 months. Well done :clap:

There will probably be more experienced people along shortly to give you some more advice. You are always guaranteed to get good advice from the forum members. And ask as many questions as you want. We are all here to help each other.

Good luck