Chances of being diagnosed Type2.

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening :)

I've been posting a lot lately about ny husband who has been diagnosed type 1 recently. I now need some advice on type 2 if you don't mind :)

My dad, nan and great nan have all been diagnosed with type 2 after the age of forty. I'm 23 and it's playing on my mind a lot.

If I lead a healthy lifestyle, can anyone inform me of the odds of me becoming a type 2?

Thanks so much
Kirst x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So far everyone who has used the phrase "healthy lifestyle" has had a different understanding of what it means. Your family seem prone but that could be environmental if you all live in a similar way. I read recently that if one of a couple was diagnosed with type 2 then it increased the chances of the other one getting it.

The bottom line is that there is a possibility that you can do a lot to avoid type 2 but you will need to be a lot more specific about "healthy lifestyle".

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Well by healthy lifestyle I mean eating the right things, exercise and cutting down on sugar.

I don't drink or smoke.

This is a fantastic site and I just thought I'd get some advice, that's all.

I'm not trying to come across as vague, I just need some help and thought I could ask here.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't have any kind of diabetes yet and so you could possibly put off the fatal day by (for example) giving up sugar and things with sugar in completely. No fizzy drinks, sugar in tea, or cakes. Cutting down on things with flour in is a good thing too but maybe you don't have to worry too much about that yet.

Those of us with type 2 usually can't eat bread or cakes at all but I doubt you need to panic yet.

The simplest and most effective exercise is walking. It lowers the blood sugar level quite effectively. I prefer not to have static exercise machines in the house since it is too easy to get off them and fall onto the sofa.

There you go. somewhere to begin.

Reactions: 2 people

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't have any kind of diabetes yet and so you could possibly put off the fatal day by (for example) giving up sugar and things with sugar in completely. No fizzy drinks, sugar in tea, or cakes. Cutting down on things with flour in is a good thing too but maybe you don't have to worry too much about that yet.

Those of us with type 2 usually can't eat bread or cakes at all but I doubt you need to panic yet.

The simplest and most effective exercise is walking. It lowers the blood sugar level quite effectively. I prefer not to have static exercise machines in the house since it is too easy to get off them and fall onto the sofa.

There you go. somewhere to begin.
Thanks very much.

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is more chance if a close relative has it, but it doesn't automatically mean that you will too. Have a look around the site and St the food section as the perception of a healthy diet is not always the best for diabetes. You could modify your diet for example reducing carbs and hopefully it might skip your generation.

Even if the 'worst' happens it is not the end of the world once you get used to things. Good luck

Reactions: 2 people

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
There is more chance if a close relative has it, but it doesn't automatically mean that you will too. Have a look around the site and St the food section as the perception of a healthy diet is not always the best for diabetes. You could modify your diet for example reducing carbs and hopefully it might skip your generation.

Even if the 'worst' happens it is not the end of the world once you get used to things. Good luck
Thank you :) with my husband being diagnosed type 1 recently I just have diabetes on the brain! Thanks again