Chemist had no test strips today...

cortez

Hi everyone,

I went to pick up my supply of test strips today from my local branch of Lloyds and they informed me that they were having 'difficulties with the wholesaler', and so couldn't supply me. In almost 12 years of Type 1 I've never experienced this before. In the end they did manage to find a single box, and took my telephone number so they could inform me when they had a new batch in.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I spoke to the manager and she said this has been a widespread problem recently. Having reduced sensitivity to hypos means that being without enough test strips is a scary prospect... :shock:

Chris

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
What brand of strips were they ? If one Chemist hasn't got them in stock you may find another who has....worth ringing around to find one. The Manager MAY be making excuses.......it does happen !

If my own Chemist has problems with supply he can usually get them from either another of his shops or from a different supplier. A very helpful man........ :D

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had that problem with the novofine screw on needles in the past. There was a manufacturing problem which caused a stock shortage.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
slightly different from your post .
Although this was mentioned in an earlier post every time i get mt repeat pres. The receptionist (forgets to include the strips???????) However i just ring my DN on her mobile to get them sorted as she said she would recently we have a good thing going as i have learned her a few things i pcked up on the forum that she did'nt know due to my record keeping since diagnosis :wink:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Shouldn't you have been offered your prescription back to take elsewhere to get your strips? If it is your normal chemist, why don't they keep a back up supply-mine does. With the qty of strips that type 1's and 2's need, I would have thought it should have been a priority.

I did a mystery shopper months ago on a Lloyds Chemist-and they didn't have the strips...when I wrote my report I did mention it that I thought it was imperitive that Lloyds being one of the biggest chemists should always have a supply of strips in stock.....

I would drop a line to their head office.

Did this recently with Ryvita, and got a lovely voucher in return....it was a genuine complaint and concern. Also notified Lidl's recently of a lovely young checkout girl who asked if I was ok at her till when I was there. I wrote to her head office and got a nice reply back (no voucher), nice to say thanks and nice to complain when genuine....and I think your complaint is reasonable and a genuine concern.

cortez

cugila said:
What brand of strips were they ? If one Chemist hasn't got them in stock you may find another who has....worth ringing around to find one. The Manager MAY be making excuses.......it does happen !

Thanks cugila, should have mentioned that - I use OneTouch Ultra.. And to be fair - though my memory's a bit hazy - the manager did suggest that I could get them elsewhere with my script, or something along those lines. But surely they ought to have enough back-up stocks to cover situations like this? I had their last box, and if someone comes in tomorrow morning for their supply they're going to have a nasty shock... Actually I'm feeling a bit guilty now... I hadn't completely finished my last batch, so I have half a mind to go in tomorrow and take them back, for anyone else who might need them more urgently (doubt they'd take them back now, though).

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far.

Chris

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I use the OneTouch Ultra strips too.......no problem getting them here at my local Chemist.......

You should shop around. :|

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The chemist I use often doesn't have things in stock, as it is a very small chemist, but gets two deliveries a day so can always get what I want the same day if I drop my prescription off in the morning. It's a bit unreasonable to expect them to have every single item available on prescription in stock all the time as it is such a small place, they don't have that much space to store stuff.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By handing repeat prescription requests to a regular chemist, I get the advantage that chemist can ensure they have the items I need in stock by the time the form comes back from GP. If there's going to be a hold up, I usually know when I hand in the form, unless it's out of hours & I stick it in their letterbox.

bedshaped2000

yep ive had the same today im in hertfordshire. tried 2 different chemists with the same answer so maybe i wont wait for the next 20 days til i can test. just had my doctor by the short and curlies to get the prescription and now there are no strips( nobody likes me every body hates me im gonna eat some wooooooooorms)btw they were for one touch ultra