Coconut sugar

Lilliepop

I would like to know if anyone cooks with coconut sugar? It's low GI 35 and you can use it like white sugar. I bake with it its really nice and healthy . So much better than horrible sweeteners. I find it doesn't affect my BG only small slices of cake :(

H

Hooked

That's interesting. I've never used it. Do you just use it gram for gram in place of normal sugar?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Not heard of that, where do you get it from?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Actually just been reading about it. It's still sugar and still contains fructose, so actually gram for gram its sugar.

Lilliepop

You get it from Amazon uk its sugar but its suppose to be better for diabetics. My advise would be is to try it and see if it affects your BS. What ever the out come I would never touch sweeteners they are poison. I put it in tea coffee etc. you can get coconut sugar or coconut nector, coconut nector is much finer then sugar.

Roumette

It contains quite a lot of sucrose - not really healthy. You can cook with Sucralose (Canderel powder : by volume). It doesn't have any nasty after-taste like so many, and it isn't poisonous. :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Frm wiki:

"Health benefits

The Glycemic Index of coconut sugar is 35 and is classified as a low glycemic index food. It is considered to be healthier than refined white sugar (60) and brown sugar (64). It can be used as a 1:1 sugar substitute for coffee, tea, baking, and cooking.

Coconut sugar has a high mineral content, being a rich source of potassium, magnesium, zinc, and iron. In addition to this it contains Vitamin B1, B2, B3, and B6.

When compared to brown sugar, coconut sugar has 36 times the iron, four times the magnesium, and over 10 times the amount of zinc."

The latter makes it sounds like you won't need a blood glucose meter and all you need to do is sweep yourself with a metal detector. I wonder if it trips airport security.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Anonymous

Lilliepop said:
I would like to know if anyone cooks with coconut sugar? It's low GI 35 and you can use it like white sugar. I bake with it its really nice and healthy . So much better than horrible sweeteners. I find it doesn't affect my BG only small slices of cake :(

I've used it for a long time. It's also known as jaggery which, according to WIKI, is produced from date, coconut palm or sugar cane. It contains up to 50% sucrose as opposed to 100% in refined sugar, up to 20% invert sugars, up to 20% moisture, and the remainder made up of other insoluble matter, such as wood ash, proteins, and bagasse fibres. Most if not all Asian stores sell as do some of the big supermarket chains. You can get it in block form and you can cut slivers away. But be careful! It's very moorish!!

Lilliepop

Look on amazon uk you get three bags in a packet, suppose it is expensive but it last me ages. Sweeteners really upset me give me headaches and upset stomach. Its so much better to eat natural when you can. :thumbup: