Coeliac, hypos, the universe and everything.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Bcgirl I had wanted to ask you before if you lived in BC. I'm in the Lower Mainland, so the weather is kinder here than in the interior. I guess you are still in the throws of winter, although the snow pack is low this year. The coastal mountains here have very little snow, the snow line is high, but I see skiers and snow boarders on mass heading to the slopes so I'm guessing they are having to make snow for descent skiing.

My world ebbs and flows with BC Ferries.

I figured that the pancreatitis would have been very nasty. Hopefully it's all under control now. Your Blood sugars seem very reasonable. I really don't know much about 3c diabetes. There could be other factors at play that I am not aware of. I have trouble figuring my own out.
As for pancreatic cancer, if I can draw a positive, you are being monitored so any abnormalities will be quickly addressed. The big issues arises when tumours go unnoticed, develop and spread.

As for my 9 months of keto, I was in nutritional ketosis throughout the entire time. I was relatively strict with it, but not obsessed. The biggest impact was my weight loss, not that I had that much to lose. I was happy losing those extra pounds. I had my Ac1 taken and I had only come down a a tiny bit. Certainly not enough to think wow I'm sticking with this. Long and short of it, my blood sugars are still up there. My thoughts, and these are only thoughts, it is not the food I'm eating that is driving up my blood sugars, else my blood sugars would have come right down, similar to everyone else who's on the Keto diet. So we will wait and see. I mentioned in another thread that the keto diet drove up my LDLs, but it seems there may be an answer of sorts; suggested by a couple of members here, I am what is called a Lean Mass Hyper Responder phenotype. It means that a very low carb intake will have the reverse effect on LDL cholesterol, it drives it up. Whereas for everyone else a low carb diet will lower your LDL choleserol. Weird eh!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Exercise such as you describe, will cause glucogenesis, better known as liver dumps.
This is when you decrease your energy levels through exercise.
If you can find a way to diminish the dumps and still do good exercise. That is what I had to do.
My exercise regime is housework, garden and walking after meals or my window of intermittent fasting.

Mind you, I am getting on a bit.
Best wishes.

Reactions: Melgar

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exercise such as you describe, will cause glucogenesis, better known as liver dumps.
This is when you decrease your energy levels through exercise.
If you can find a way to diminish the dumps and still do good exercise. That is what I had to do.
My exercise regime is housework, garden and walking after meals or my window of intermittent fasting.

Mind you, I am getting on a bit.
Best wishes.
Yes, I'm a keen exerciser. Funny enough it doesn't go up that much with general exercise. I'm pretty fit so my body must have adapted over decades of fitness. The only time it really goes up is when I lift anything heavy, then I will see a big rise. Sometimes the rise is as much as 9 mmol/ls from a 6 mmol/l base line. As for getting on a bit, a friend of mine, who is in his early 70's, ran a sub 3 hour marathon. Yes, sub 3 hour. He is the darling of his running club and leaves most youngsters behind. And I dare say me, if I felt inclined to put on my running shoes and give it a go! Ed I got the time wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lamont D

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my, I’m definitely a lean mass hyper responder! Fit all the criteria. My doctor almost had a heart attack when she saw my ldl. Phoned me at home and said my arteries were hardening as we spoke! I’m not concerned that much and to make her happy I take plant sterols and it lowers my ldl to a decent level. Have you seen the Oreo experiment with Nick Norowitz? Their LMHR hypothesis is very interesting.

no snow here…spring has sprung. Now is when our temperatures are the same as the lower mainland and we’re soon to be hotter. Not looking forward to fire season….its way too dry!

slow walking lowers my blood sugar, weights and yoga too….but exertion over an extended period raises it like crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melgar and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
i was interested in you mentioning that a low carb diet didn’t really work for you…didn’t lower your blood sugar. That’s exactly what I am experiencing! In fact I was low carb, zero sugar at the time of diagnosis. I do find I can keep sugars around 6 if I don’t eat carbs but any carb will give me horrid spikes that I do not want! It’s so frustrating! I exercise daily, walk and lift weights, do yoga….everything I’m supposed to do and yet these darn sugars…the longer i can stay away from meds the better.
(Sorry @Melgar for going off topic on your thread, I'm reasonably sure youre fine with this. ;))

@Bcgirl , have you ever had a test to determine how much insulin you produce?
If you simply can't produce enough of your own thanks to the damage to your pancreas, adding a little exogenous insulin could be a great help. After all, you're only substituting what your body would have produced if it was capable anyway.

As a T3C, do you use any pancreatic enzymes with food?
You may need them if your pancreas is damaged enough to not produce enough to deal with your food.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my, I’m definitely a lean mass hyper responder! Fit all the criteria. My doctor almost had a heart attack when she saw my ldl. Phoned me at home and said my arteries were hardening as we spoke! I’m not concerned that much and to make her happy I take plant sterols and it lowers my ldl to a decent level. Have you seen the Oreo experiment with Nick Norowitz? Their LMHR hypothesis is very interesting.

no snow here…spring has sprung. Now is when our temperatures are the same as the lower mainland and we’re soon to be hotter. Not looking forward to fire season….its way too dry!

slow walking lowers my blood sugar, weights and yoga too….but exertion over an extended period raises it like crazy.
Check out the thread D2 or NAFLD a funny thing happened on my way to the surgery started by Chris24Main I wrote a response right at the end I think it's on P4 of the thread. It's definitely a thing this LDL .

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
(Sorry @Melgar for going off topic on your thread, I'm reasonably sure youre fine with this. ;))

@Bcgirl , have you ever had a test to determine how much insulin you produce?
If you simply can't produce enough of your own thanks to the damage to your pancreas, adding a little exogenous insulin could be a great help. After all, you're only substituting what your body would have produced if it was capable anyway.

As a T3C, do you use any pancreatic enzymes with food?
You may need them if your pancreas is damaged enough to not produce enough to deal with your food.
Hi, my c peptide is right smack in the middle of normal and my fasting insulin is low normal but perfectly ok. I was very surprised. I will have her test fasting insulin again (it’s been a few years) soon but the latest c peptide was good and only just a bit lower than the first test.
i don’t have an issue with digestion but I do sometimes take an over the counter enzyme for no other reason than just to try it. The doc did give me enzymes once and I hated it….to burdensome (is that a word?) and she only gave it to me because of extreme bloating after eating. I don’t handle fibre very well. Now with no fibre I don’t bloat at all!

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 OMG I would say I'm one of the worst for hijacking threads :joyful:
I've been member for much longer than you have, I'll easily win the off topic contest! Thankfully I became a moderator at some point, which helped a bit in behaving myself. still, if you do a search on threads I've started, you'll see that each and every of them ended in total derailment! :hilarious:
Check out the thread D2 or NAFLD a funny thing happened on my way to the surgery started by Chris24Main I wrote a response right at the end I think it's on P4 of the thread. It's definitely a thing this LDL .
You can easily link threads by copying and pasting the URL. If you want to link a specific post, copy and paste the post number on the top right of the post. ;)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been member for much longer than you have, I'll easily win the off topic contest! Thankfully I became a moderator at some point, which helped a bit in behaving myself. still, if you do a search on threads I've started, you'll see that each and every of them ended in total derailment! :hilarious:

You can easily link threads by copying and pasting the URL. If you want to link a specific post, copy and paste the post number on the top right of the post. ;)
be t you haven't been told off as much as a certain poster I know. ;)

• Optimistic
Reactions: Antje77

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hilarious, I'm thinking I could well follow in your footsteps, just give it some time. :p As for these darn computers I regress to an average age of around 2 yrs old. I kid you not. I'm the same with my iphone. And now my partner has bought me an ipad for my birthday. You know where is is going. If something goes wrong with any device I just switch it off and hope it's sorted itself out when I switch it back on. o_O
:hilarious:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hilarious, I'm thinking I could well follow in your footsteps, just give it some time.
Yup.
You've been on my (rather long) list of people to nominate at the next mod elections for a while now, so it's possible you'll follow in my footsteps in more ways than you bargained for! :hilarious:

• Funny
Reactions: Melgar