Colouring your hair when pregnant

Cha-Lloes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've recently found out I'm pregnant but I need to colour my hair and I'm not sure if you are actually aloud to when you are pregnant. Can anyone help?! Not so much the roots but say from middle to the ends I'm blonde and want it all dark like the roots and top. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi well I had blonde highlights done at the hairdressers every few weeks during both my pregnancies. My hairdresser was due just after my twins and she was full blonde too and she said it was okay xx

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are certain hair dyes which you are not meant to use when pregnant, something to do with the ammonia but I know plenty of women who have dyed their hair whilst pregnant & the only problems I have ever seen is that sometimes the colour wont turn out properly due to change in reaction because of hormones.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Cha-Lloes I spent hours googling that very question when I was pregnant : D There's no definite answer because no ones going to set up a trial of chemicals on pregnant women, but I erred on the side of caution personally.

I avoided all peroxide throughout pregnancy, and only put a natural semi-permanent on my hair when I was in the final trimester.

As a bonus, my hair got a nice rest and, along with the pregnancy hormones, ended up thick, shiny and in great condition