Concerns about SD Codefree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I have splashed out £16.24 and received a little cardboard box this morning containing 100 test strips and 100 lancets so I think I will persevere with the SD.

As I said in an earlier post I knock 20% off the reading when it is in the lower range so that the reading lines up with what I would get if I used my Freestyle.

Do a little sum .....save loadsa money.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
jammy1988 said:
I had a fasting BG test done recently so I decided to use this opportunity to do a very unscientific test of the SD. The lab result came back with 4.3, but my SD reading (taken just after the blood sample was taken) was 5.2, with the Freestyle reading 4.5. As I said, not exactly the most rigorous of tests, but it does add to my suspicions that the SD readings have been unusually elevated for a while.

Incidentally, I also had a HbA1c test, which came back at 32. I think it was 33 when I had it done a few months ago around the time I made significant changes to my diet and exercise, so not much change there.

Anyway, it has at least put my mind at rest a bit.
There are all sorts of variables that come into play (how you actually sample the blood, did you 'milk' the finger etc) If you take the reading impeccably with a laboratory standardised meter the capillary reading will be a bit lower than a venous level for a fasting test ( quite a lot lower for a post prandial test)
This discrepancy is individual , for many people the difference is quite small but it can reach 0.7mmol/l in some individuals (thats why you need a lab test for diagnosis)
(very detailed article)
http://www.bestthinking.com/articles/me ... nous-blood