confused by blood sugar

nicki_noodle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What do i feel dizzy, shaky & sick when my blood sugar is 4.8. This is the lowest it has been since ddiagnosis 4 weeks ago. But when 8 or 9 I feel fine.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@nicki_noodle I read your previous posts. You stated your initial fasting blood glucose levels were 12 mmol/L (216 mg/dL) and 16 mmol/L (288 mg/dL), also that you were started on metformin.

It's good that you've gotten a blood glucose meter. At least now you can link how you're feeling to an actual blood glucose level.

I'm curious. How much metformin are you taking per dose? And when are you taking each dose? Perhaps others with experience with metformin could share their experiences when they have more information from you. :)

When I was re-diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I also started the low carb high fat diet (but I declined medication). The first week my highest blood glucose level was 16.5 mmol/L (297 mg/dL), my lowest was 8.1 mmol/L (145 mg/dL). I just checked, and my lowest blood glucose level of 5.2 mmol/L (93 mg/dL) happened about six and a half weeks into the low carbohydrate diet.

Today, 16 months into the low carbohydrate diet, I'm getting more blood glucose levels in the 4.7 - 5 mmol/L (85 - 90 mg/dL) range but not as often as I'd like. And happily it doesn't cause me any discomfort.

I'm wondering if they could reduce your medication dosage (or if you could increase your carbohydrate intake). I realize low blood glucose levels are desired, but too low can cause you to lose consciousness, not good. Do talk with your medication prescriber.

Reactions: 2 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just looked it up. In the US, "Hypoglycemia is defined as a blood glucose level below 70 mg/dl", which would be 3.9 mmol/L, which would be uncomfortable for anyone.

If you haven't already read it, you might find this article interesting, "Common Low-Carb Side Effects and How to Cure Them"

http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects

When beginning the low carb diet, it's sometimes a bit tricky sorting out the primary cause of unwanted symptoms. Most people need to increase water, salt, and magnesium intake on the diet.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicki_noodle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been told to take 2 500mg metformin. 1 in morning & 1in eve.
Always try to take them with food.
Yesterday was the first time I felt really I'll.
Thought was getting the hang of what to eat. But still seems as though I have more to read.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@nicki_noodle doesn't sound to me like you're doing anything wrong. Rather it's a process of adjusting what you're doing until you find a combination that works. It's challenging. The metformin is decreasing your blood glucose, as is the low carb diet. I'm juggling with one ball, diet and exercise, and you're juggling with two, metformin and diet. Not the easiest thing to do.

I can relate to your comment about the learning curve. I still don't have this thing figured out and I've done a lot of reading. Like you, I'm learning as I go.

Hopefully others will come along to offer you their experience with initiating both metformin and diet at the same time. :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
What do i feel dizzy, shaky & sick when my blood sugar is 4.8. This is the lowest it has been since ddiagnosis 4 weeks ago. But when 8 or 9 I feel fine.

Your body gets used to higher than normal blood glucose levels. Bringing them within the accepted healthy range can bring on 'false hypos' for some people. 'IF' this is the reason, you will probably readjust within a couple of weeks.
If you adjusted your diet you could also be experiencing some effects of this.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's possible that you're feeling the effects of a "false hypo" when your glucose levels have gone down to 4.8 from your usual much higher levels - you body won't be used to this and is reacting as it would if you went down very much lower from "normal" glucose levels.

Robbity