Confused

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daphne, AndBreathe. I have thought about a meter, as I've read threads/posts by people who obviously swear by them, but as yet I don't actually know what the readings were that prompted the call from the nurse - and they wouldn't have meant anything to me had I thought to ask! As it was, I was so devastated when she told me, then she faffed about trying to find her next appointment (19th) that I just wanted to get rid of her so I could bawl my eyes out!
Anyway, I'm an action kinda person, hence getting straight onto the Internet, which of course led me here. All the nurse said was that up to my appointment, I should look at food labels for the sugar. What she didn't say was what I should do with the information having looked at it! She didn't give me any guidelines as to limits etc, so I got advice from here - initially I was looking to see how much sugar was too much. My intention is to turn up for the appointment on the 19th with more weight lost and normal readings (I assume blood sugars?). And you're quite right AndBreathe - I have no idea how bad it is, and where I feature on the pre-diabetes scale, but obviously I want to do something now to halt any possible progress towards full blown diabetes.
I'm still struggling with the full fat issue, not sure I'll ever get my head round it after years of indoctrination to the contrary.

I congratulate you on your commitment to going back slimmer and with "normal" readings, but to be honest, without testing, how will you know if you are achieving your levels? That's where the meter comes in. We're all different in our tolerances, so testing is the key.

There's no reason to think you'll need to test long term, just until you learn what works for you, then probably from time-to-time to reassure yourself you're staying on track. It would be such a tragedy to try your hardest, only to find you have made little or no impact.

It would be useful though to know what our score was on the blood test. That will give you a firm steer. You could ring up and ask for it? They're your results, they shouldn't be withheld.

Reactions: 2 people

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Way too many for this little box, and probably irrelevant
I will ring on Monday and ask. To be fair, I can't say it's being withheld exactly, I just didn't ask. Ive just had a bit of a scare - I put 100g of steamed cauliflower into My Fitness Pal and it was 16g of carbs! That seems a lot if I'm aiming for around 50g a day?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will ring on Monday and ask. To be fair, I can't say it's being withheld exactly, I just didn't ask. Ive just had a bit of a scare - I put 100g of steamed cauliflower into My Fitness Pal and it was 16g of carbs! That seems a lot if I'm aiming for around 50g a day?
Don't think so. 5g maybe.

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oops! I just clicked on it - when I looked back it was on 300g, not 100 - you're quite right, it's 5.3g. Doh! :facepalm:

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi all
I just wanted to report that I have been really successful with my low carb diet (careless clicking apart ️ ) and have continued with my daily hikes - earphones on, listening to comedy podcasts - and have given in and weighed myself this morning to find I have lost 5lb since Thursday when I started my new regime.
To say I'm pleased would be an understatement, and I really want to thank you guys for your low carb advice. I'm on my way out now for my walk, so will call in at the surgery to request my readings, so I have something to work on.
Thanks again - I'm feeling 100% more positive about my life than I did last Thursday!

Reactions: 5 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all
I just wanted to report that I have been really successful with my low carb diet (careless clicking apart ️ ) and have continued with my daily hikes - earphones on, listening to comedy podcasts - and have given in and weighed myself this morning to find I have lost 5lb since Thursday when I started my new regime.
To say I'm pleased would be an understatement, and I really want to thank you guys for your low carb advice. I'm on my way out now for my walk, so will call in at the surgery to request my readings, so I have something to work on.
Thanks again - I'm feeling 100% more positive about my life than I did last Thursday!
I was diagnosed as prediabetic last October. Luckily, I found this sight. Please, please listen to the terrific advice you'll be given by members (Bluetit especially). Sounds like you're already reaping the benefits!

Reactions: 4 people

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was diagnosed as prediabetic last October. Luckily, I found this sight. Please, please listen to the terrific advice you'll be given by members (Bluetit especially). Sounds like you're already reaping the benefits!

Thanks Lynn, I do seem to be, and I am definitely taking on board all the advice I've been given here.

How has your pre-diabetes status changed since October? Have you switched to low carb? Do you have weight to lose (if that's not too rude a question). Have your levels reduced? I'm really interested to know if anyone has ever actually beaten it and avoided sliding into T2.

Now, I did call in at the surgery and got my readings. I take it it's the Plasma glucose level I'm looking for? Well it says: 6.4 mmol/L [3.5 - 7.8]. I had the blood test at 10.20 am, and would have had a cup of tea with skimmed milk, no sugar, but nothing to eat since the evening before. I have no idea what this means except that Daisy1's post said T2 levels are 4 - 7 mmol. Being new to this, I see 6.4 as being within the T2 range - or does it not work like that?
I've been looking at buying a meter too, but have been told which one I have will depend on which strips my surgery will prescribe - does that make sense?

Sorry to be a pain, but I trust you guys to give me straight answers with no bias or agendas. :shy:

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Evening.

You will see from my signature that my HbA1c has decreased from 44.00 to 43.00 - only down a tad, but heading in the right direction and only 1 point short of 'normal'. Am following the low carb/highish fat diet.

I didn't have too much weight to loose and was soon within a healthy BMI range. Today I weigh 8st 5lbs and don't want to loose any more weight or I will begin to look scrawny. I am 4ft 11ins.

I have been given every encouragement on this site to believe that prediabetics can, indeed, stop themselves from sliding into full blown diabetes and fully intend taking this golden opportunity.

Whilst no expert, I see that your reading of 6.4 or 46.4 is still in the prediabetic range and would urge you to reduce your reading further as, I believe, 48 is the tipping point for diabetes.

If I am wrong, please someone with more expertise jump in and correct me.

If you are prediabetic, I very much doubt that your surgery will provide a meter and strips. The only way of keeping a close eye on your BG is to test, test and test again. I have purchased the Codefree meter and strips, as recommended by forum members.

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok, thanks Lynn. At least you don't have the added headache of weight loss to worry about, but I'm heartened to see you're in control of the condition.
Can I ask where the 4 comes from - my reading being 6.4, and you turned it into 46.4?

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ok, thanks Lynn. At least you don't have the added headache of weight loss to worry about, but I'm heartened to see you're in control of the condition.
Can I ask where the 4 comes from - my reading being 6.4, and you turned it into 46.4?
From what I have seen on the forum, the greater the weightloss the more improved the HbA1c reading. I was a little disappointed with my last reading after having worked so hard at LCHF, but it 's heading in the right direction.

I got the reading from the HbA1c converter on this site.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I have seen on the forum, the greater the weightloss the more improved the HbA1c reading..
That's interesting if true. It would fit my BS progress, like your, slowly downwards.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not sure if it is a fact, but feel it would make sense. The same happens with dieting - weight tends to fall off at the beginning and then slows.

Just a thought.