Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi everybody

I have had type 1 since September last year and on this Monday I start the Dafne course
Any graduates on here, what are your views on the course?
I have had quite good control for 3 months now so i really hope this course just backs up everything I have been doing and doesnt turn my understanding of carbs and ratios on its head!

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi everybody

I have had type 1 since September last year and on this Monday I start the Dafne course
Any graduates on here, what are your views on the course?
I have had quite good control for 3 months now so i really hope this course just backs up everything I have been doing and doesnt turn my understanding of carbs and ratios on its head!
Hi Bri, I haven't been on the course but from what I have read and heard it's very well recommended and well worth the effort of attending.
As with all things approach with an open mind and do not prejudge :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi Type1Bri
it is a very good course and should be an opportunity to speak with other T1's as well.
i did the course about 10 years ago.

good luck ! :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read a range of feedback posts on this forum from it was brillaint to a disaster. A lot depends on the presenter and how they interpret some of the NHS tablets of stone. Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Go for it. It can be very powerful. And if not, what's the worst that could happen?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have read a range of feedback posts on this forum from it was brillaint to a disaster. A lot depends on the presenter and how they interpret some of the NHS tablets of stone. Let us know how you get on.
It also depends on the participants attitude as well :)

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm sure you'll learn something new Bri even if you do have good control now, as @himtoo says just getting to sit in a room full of people who have type 1 is a great experience in itself. I thoroughly enjoyed my course and would recommend it to anyone.

Reactions: 6 people

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think meeting others will be just as important as doing the course. Where is the course being held?

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
It is in a hall near Darenth Valley hospital in Dartford

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went quite soon after diagnoses too and found it really interesting even though I'd done lots of research. I found the people on the course who had had it years were just as interested in my experience as I was there's. Make the most of being around other people in your boat :)

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really enjoyed my course. I too went along not long after diagnosis. At the time I was still in my honeymoon period so my control was very good. I even remember feeling a bit smug with my perfect HBA1C lol. Over the years I have had a number of problems regulating my blood sugars for different reasons. It is always good to fall back on what I learnt on the course to get myself back on track.
Enjoy

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
I did it 12 months ago and have been a type 1 for 23 years, it's turned my BGL readings around. Excellent course and make sure you back over all the info, there is a lot, after the course to embed the learnings.

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long is the course? Been told I'm not the waiting list but have no idea how long it'll be.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How long is the course? Been told I'm not the waiting list but have no idea how long it'll be.

I believe some areas also do the course over several weeks to cater for those people who work shifts or can't get the time off work.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I believe some areas also do the course over several weeks to cater for those people who work shifts or can't get the time off work.
Guys and St Thomas' in London offer this approach. Reading the NICE total results, the five day on the trot course has better results than the five week one.