Dairy-based desserts?

mcdougall86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m just going to preface this by saying I don’t do a strict low carb diet anymore. I’m recovering from very disordered eating habits, and as part of my treatment I don’t strictly count or record macros. However, I do try to base as much of my diet as possible around protein, veggies and fats whilst still eating a moderate amount of carbs; around 100g a day, maybe less - I don’t track anymore but I can remember the carb content of common things pretty well so 100g/day is probably a fair guess.

I really want to try and make some low(ish) carb dessert options with the fat/protein element coming from dairy (cream, cheese, yoghurt etc) and the flavour/sweetness coming from berries/fruit. I love a bowl of strawberries and crème fraiche but I’d like some variety!

I’m a huge fan of fruit + dairy desserts like cheesecakes, pannacotta, fruit flavoured ice cream and frozen yogurt etc. and I’d really like to make some of my own with less sugar but I have no idea where to start!

Does anyone have any recipes for desserts they can share?

I don’t like cakes, so not looking for anything with a low-carb sponge alternative. But anything that’s cream/dairy based is an win! Extra points if it doesn’t have any overly processed ingredients. I’m not a fan of trying to replace natural whole foods with processed stuff! I find the natural sweetness in fruit and dairy is often enough for me, but I know that making something frozen without added sugar is a challenge because it affects how it freezes! Has anyone found a way to make a good frozen yoghurt or ice cream without having to add sweeteners?

Thanks in advance! I’ve googled so many recipes but they all have ten tonnes of additives in them, so it’d be good to hear from real people who have found tasty things that work for them without having to use too many processed alternatives.

• Friendly
Reactions: fumanchu

mouseee

Eton mess is basically whipped cream with strawberries or raspberries etc.
I have a sprinkling of crushed up meringue on it. A meringue shell apparently only had 12 carbs in it but I'm not ever going to eat a whole one but a sprinkle make me feel.like I'm eating the pudding ad it should be.
I also make a fruit only couli to drizzle over sometimes too.

Reactions: mcdougall86

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
A quick alternative to ice cream that I use quite often is a good handful of frozen berries in Greek yogurt, whizzed up in one of those blender thingies.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
As I can't eat much fruit, I make Greek yogurt and stir in Green and Blacks Organic Cocoa. Lowish carbs and yummy. Not sweet though. You could add fruit.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here’s a recipe I saved several years ago. Mostly natural ingredients if you can find a sweetener you’re happy with.

IMG_9184.jpeg
IMG_9185.jpeg

Lakeslover

I use this recipe for a basic fool substituting with rhubarb, blackcurrants or raspberries depending what I have in. There isn’t much sugar here and I substitute a small amount of sweetener. But if you don’t mind sharp berries you could leave it out. Or swirl melted dark chocolate in. Mmm dark chocolate and nuts would be good.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use sugarfree jelly (Hartley, comes in sachets) and make it up with at least half and half yoghurt and water. Sometimes add or swap double cream. Sometimes add a few frozen berries. I get 6 ramekins out of each sachet and 400ml liquid.
Can also be made in one dish, on a base of ground almonds (and or seeds mixed with melted butter.) Call it cheese cake..

You can play around with increasing liquid to reduce the sweeteners taste, and if you have the patience to wait for cooling you can whip it to be light and airy like mousse.

If you don't like the idea of the ready made jelly you could make your own with fruit and gelatine.

Another is win is a Berry bake. Whip 250g cream cheese with 100ml cream, 2 eggs and a little truvia (15g). Pour over frozen berries and bake for 20 minutes or so. Starts of looking like egg custard but sets to a cheesecake texture. Good warm or cold. Serves 4-8 depending on whipping and appetites . Again can serve on a base

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @mcdougall86. I think you have got to the heart of the problem re sweet, and sweets (aka desserts), for people with diabetes.

I like desserts too which have only been sweetened with low-carb fruit, but it is an acquired taste, I believe.

My takeaway - it's a choice between unsweet sweets, or choose your substitute sweetener. No way around it.

I am a huge ice cream fan, and have my own ice cream maker, a must imho, if you want to have low-carb ice cream regularly. The good ones aren't cheap, so it's a real investment in future desserts! But well worth it. The caveat - you will be eating it alone! Is my guess. The expectation for dessert generally is that it is sweet, and your friends and family will be shocked, in my experience, what unsweetened ice cream tastes like. Even with berries.

I actually eat stevia sweetened desserts, and artifically sweetened desserts, as in chocolate mousse which I make with coconut cream, but all good with full cream of course, re your dairy. And I like various artificially or preferably stevia sweetened jellies. Love them. Stevia sweetened chocolate bits are a staple on my shopping list. (For chocolate chip ice creams, and for teeny bit of chocolate for snacks, usually to go with nuts.)

All has been eaten and metered to check it's affect on my blood glucose. So I know what spikes and what doesn't. (Sadly for me, the Atkins keto bars all spike me! Have no idea why.)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I’m just going to preface this by saying I don’t do a strict low carb diet anymore. I’m recovering from very disordered eating habits, and as part of my treatment I don’t strictly count or record macros. However, I do try to base as much of my diet as possible around protein, veggies and fats whilst still eating a moderate amount of carbs; around 100g a day, maybe less - I don’t track anymore but I can remember the carb content of common things pretty well so 100g/day is probably a fair guess.

I really want to try and make some low(ish) carb dessert options with the fat/protein element coming from dairy (cream, cheese, yoghurt etc) and the flavour/sweetness coming from berries/fruit. I love a bowl of strawberries and crème fraiche but I’d like some variety!

I’m a huge fan of fruit + dairy desserts like cheesecakes, pannacotta, fruit flavoured ice cream and frozen yogurt etc. and I’d really like to make some of my own with less sugar but I have no idea where to start!

Does anyone have any recipes for desserts they can share?

I don’t like cakes, so not looking for anything with a low-carb sponge alternative. But anything that’s cream/dairy based is an win! Extra points if it doesn’t have any overly processed ingredients. I’m not a fan of trying to replace natural whole foods with processed stuff! I find the natural sweetness in fruit and dairy is often enough for me, but I know that making something frozen without added sugar is a challenge because it affects how it freezes! Has anyone found a way to make a good frozen yoghurt or ice cream without having to add sweeteners?

Thanks in advance! I’ve googled so many recipes but they all have ten tonnes of additives in them, so it’d be good to hear from real people who have found tasty things that work for them without having to use too many processed alternatives.

Hi. I do a cheese cake custard type of thing

Tub of soft cheese - mascarpone/ Philly / etc
3 eggs
Vanilla to taste
Cup or more of cream depending how thick you want it
Allulose to taste - depending how sweet you’d like it

Pored into small ramikins

Add a few berries to ramikins if you like. ( I keep frozen blueberries and raspberries in my freezer

Into air fryer at 110 degrees for 30 mins

Delicious