Dawn phenomenon

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed june 15.

Fasting blood sugars always been around 5.6-6 in the morning with no lantus.

Over last month or so woke up to sugars around 6.6 so decided to start a couple of units of lantus.

Someone mentioned the dawn phenomenon and to eat something just before bed (no carbs) to stop stored glucose being released causing he morning high.

Stopped lantus a few days ago and blood sugars since have not been above 5.5 in morning.

Cant believe it, long may it continue

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
May I ask, what is your diagnosis? Are you prescribed any short-acting insulin? Has the honeymoon phase of diabetes been discussed with you? I am not sure how all this relates to Dawn Phenomenon except you are saying your fasting BSLs are in normal range??

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed type 1.

On novorapid for food, around 1 unit per 15g of carbs.

Interestingly enough my blood sugar also no longer spikes 3 hours after evening meals either, i presume its linked to taking the jelly just before bed.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Eating before bed, is not something I've heard of or experienced to remedy the DP. Might work for some, though, who knows?

Lantus is not something that should remedy the DP. The DP raises my BGs by around 2 mmol/l, so I just need an extra unit of Novorapid at breakfast to remedy it.

I agree with @kitedoc, sounds like your Honeymoon period has kicked in (where your pancreas comes to life again, before snuffing out for good) as Type 1s don't come off basal insulin otherwise.

Reactions: kitedoc

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed june 15.

Fasting blood sugars always been around 5.6-6 in the morning with no lantus.

Over last month or so woke up to sugars around 6.6 so decided to start a couple of units of lantus.

Someone mentioned the dawn phenomenon and to eat something just before bed (no carbs) to stop stored glucose being released causing he morning high.

Stopped lantus a few days ago and blood sugars since have not been above 5.5 in morning.

Cant believe it, long may it continue

Hi James, I am very similar to you, diagnosed as type 1 and using very small doses. I rarely take novarapid (unless I'm having a big old carb filled meal) and take 6 units of lantus. My Consultant told me not to stop the lantus completely as without a doubt, my levels would start to rise once the honeymoon period came to an end, and to stop the lantus completely now would not help my beta cells.

Reactions: kitedoc