Dehydration in the first week of cutting out the carbs

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all,

‘Newly’ diagnosed Type 2 here. I say ‘newly’ in inverted commas because I was actually first diagnosed in 2019 and reversed it in a few months but since then have gone wildly off the rails.

I’m about four days into cutting out the carbs. I’ve gone from a terrible sugary diet to less than 20g.

I’m feeling very thirsty and in the morning peeing very dark which I don’t remember from the last time I did this. Had a few heart palpitations too. I’m using a zero sugar electrolyte drink and drinking a ton of water but it doesn’t seem to be helping.

Anyone else experienced similar and have any ways to avoid it or hopeful words about how quickly it might clear up?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have this - high BGs and my body did the best it could to take in and hold on to as much water as possible to dilute the sugars. Caused a few other complications and didn't do my kidneys a lot of good.

This all went away really quickly (couple of weeks) when my bg came down. If you're only four days in I'd guess you've got a little way to go yet.

Can't help you with the heart palpitations - no experience of that.

Reactions: Outlier

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Palpitations can be due to lack of electrolytes (from memory potassium especially but do check that) . This early, unless it’s worrying, I’d increase electrolytes even more making sure it includes enough of the major ones, it may be too low Or stick to water, actual salt and some supplements for a few days.

You really have gone cold turkey and it’s hardly surprising your body is objecting like a toddler having its toys taken away. If it’s unbearable or concerning add just a few carbs back in while you adjust and then once stable remove them again more slowly if you feel the need. Many people can achieve ketosis at around 50 carbs (uk/net) and going lower unnecessarily achieves little extra benefit.

If these dont work pretty quickly and none else suggests anything that does work I’d be talking to a dr on the small chance the timing of the palpitations is a coincidence and something else is going on

serebor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Palpitations can be due to lack of electrolytes (from memory potassium especially but do check that) . This early, unless it’s worrying, I’d increase electrolytes even more making sure it includes enough of the major ones, it may be too low Or stick to water, actual salt and some supplements for a few days.

You really have gone cold turkey and it’s hardly surprising your body is objecting like a toddler having its toys taken away. If it’s unbearable or concerning add just a few carbs back in while you adjust and then once stable remove them again more slowly if you feel the need. Many people can achieve ketosis at around 50 carbs (uk/net) and going lower unnecessarily achieves little extra benefit.

If these dont work pretty quickly and none else suggests anything that does work I’d be talking to a dr on the small chance the timing of the palpitations is a coincidence and something else is going on
How much salt do you recommend on low carb?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t answer that. It depends what you are eating, your body, your demands on it, how much you sweat etc etc. All I can say if you were dependent on a lot of processed foods the salt from them is now missing. Also carbs hold water. So drinking lots flushes out electrolytes and it sounds likely that’s the issue more than lack of water.

Have you got anything like dioralyte in the house? Compare the contents of that and the drink you have and see what the levels are. Those rehydration drinks are designed to correct a lack rather than some of the fancy popular drinks being more of a statement with low amounts.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask what might be a dim question…

Would you advocate drinking salt water or just trying to add it on as much food as possible?
All I can say is personally I’ve done both. I’ve even licked it off my plate, dipped chicken pieces into it and eaten them etc.

I can’t recommend what to do for your body

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Would you advocate drinking salt water or just trying to add it on as much food as possible?

That is a good question. When you go low carb, your need for electrolytes increases. I was drinking bullion when I started. now, I am fermenting foods which are salty so I don’t feel the need to add more. I also take a magnesium supplement to prevent leg cramps at night.

You could try just salting your food and see if it helps, unless you have a reason to limit sodium,

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

No such thing as a dim question. There are electrolyte supplements out there that include salt and potassium (lack of which can indeed cause palpitations!), so just popping two of those pills a day should help, depending on their dosage of course. ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=electr...efix=electrolyte+plus,aps,88&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 ) Salt water doesn't sound very nice, but bouillon is an excellent idea. Electrolyte drinks may not quite hit the spot, dosages being far too low, but between pills and bouillon you should be sorted right-quick.

Reactions: Barba_Rossa