DIABETES AND ULCERS

Kirstine

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
A while ago I posted about my son (type 1);who was having a recurring stomach problem. Basically he is in a lot of discomfort, can't sit up cos he is in pain, he's not eating properly either. He's had this about 8 times in the last 12 months. He's been on proton pump inhibitors to reduce acid in his stomach since the end of last year, and he was finally referred to a Gastroenterologist earlier this year. He had an endoscopy done just over a month ago, and he has small ulcers in his small intestine. Biopsies were done to try and find out what was causing them, and while waiting for the results he was given a course of antibiotics just in case it was bacteria that was causing it. Unfortunately it would seem that it wasn't bacteria as it has flared up again over the last week, and we now feel like we are back to square one with it all. It's heartbreaking to see him in so much pain and I feel so helpless. Been told he can have Gaviscon, he's not fussed on the liquid so am having to try tablets. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experience and has got any suggestions as to what I can try to help.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How awful for your son @Kirstine

Looking on the Gaviscon website it says they do a tablet as well as the liquid, would that be a better option for him?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes, have got a couple of different ones to try.

Missed you saying you had the tablets in your opening post.

Hopefully once the results come back they can treat him accordingly and get him out of the pain. Wishing you all the best of luck.

Kirstine

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Missed you saying you had the tablets in your opening post.

Hopefully once the results come back they can treat him accordingly and get him out of the pain. Wishing you all the best of luck.
Thank you, just so frustrating for us all

C

catherinecherub

Did they give him high dose antibiotics for 6 weeks @Kirstine? This is the usual treatment for H Pylori, a bacterial disease that can occur in the gut.
Has anyone suggested a change in diet so that he does not eat acid producing foods. Another suggestion which might help is for him to have smaller meals more frequently.
This article describes a diet that may help. You could try it until you get his results.
http://www.badgut.org/information-centre/health-nutrition/diet-for-ulcer-disease/
How old is your son?

Kirstine

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Did they give him high dose antibiotics for 6 weeks @Kirstine? This is the usual treatment for H Pylori, a bacterial disease that can occur in the gut.
Has anyone suggested a change in diet so that he does not eat acid producing foods. Another suggestion which might help is for him to have smaller meals more frequently.
This article describes a diet that may help. You could try it until you get his results.
http://www.badgut.org/information-centre/health-nutrition/diet-for-ulcer-disease/
How old is your son?
He's 14 years old. Yes he was treated for HPYLORI, they did a CLO test during the endoscopy which was negative, and now the biopsies that were done have come back clear. It just seems to flare up every 7-8 weeks. I don't tend to cook a lot of spicy food so I don't really know what could trigger it on that front. I am going to try and contact the diabetic dietitian to see what they can suggest.

C

catherinecherub

It might be worth doing a food diary for a few days and see if you can relate any particular food/drink that sets it off. This would include anything he has outside the home.
Artificial sweeteners cause gastric distress for some forum members.

Kirstine

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
It might be worth doing a food diary for a few days and see if you can relate any particular food/drink that sets it off. This would include anything he has outside the home.
Artificial sweeteners cause gastric distress for some forum members.
I didn't know about the artificial sweetener thing - obviously they are in diet drinks. He doesn't have a lot of them but worth bearing in mind. I have been considering the food diary, probably going to be a long term thing because of how much time there is between episodes - the problem starts off with slight discomfort but he can still eat and he deteriorates over a few days. Each bout can last around a week and he cannot be at school during this time due the considerable discomfort he is in and not wanting to eat.