Diabetes Burnout

JackMc92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Have just discovered this app and could do with some help.

I've been diabetic for the last 6 years and I must admit I have found it extremely hard mentally. Recently I came across a condition called diabetes burnout, after reading what it was I realised that it perfectly described what I have been doing with my life the last three years going along a self-destructive path.

So I was wondering did anyone here ever suffer from it and know anyways to get myself out of the rut I'm in before it's too late?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

claireacluck

Hi Jack

I've just googled Diabetes Burnout and can't believe it's described my behaviour up until recently perfectly! I've been T1 for 6 years and have been this way for probably five of those.

That is up until 4 weeks ago when I attended a DAFNE course. I cannot praise it enough - it was life changing for me and really gave me the wake up call I needed. I now feel so positive about my future management. I know there will still be blips but I can now understand how to deal with those, and not let it get me down and just give up like I did before!

Speak to your DSN about getting on one, it's amazing.

Good luck
Claire

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
This is a problem associated with any lifelong chronic illness but the truth is if you don't look after yourself nobody else is going to.
I have been doing it for 42 years so far and yes there are moments you feel really bad but there are so many positives to being here that you need to remember the old saying -- is my cup half full or half empty -- and opt for half full ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I suspect anyone who has had type 1 diabetes for a long time would have had symptoms of Diabetes Burnout at some point, if you feel that your suffering from DB Jack then you need to speak with your diabetes care team. they can only help you when they are aware that a problem exists, so do ask for help and don't suffer alone.

JackMc92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jack those articles were of great use to me I will definitely test my basal and buy that burnout book

I had never heard of anything like that before Claire I will definitely bring it up with my DN next month when I see her thanks!

Himtoo & Noblehead thanks for the words of wisdom will definitely put them into practice thanks again!