Diabetes control systems

dd404

Hi all,

My first post, please be nice to me :/

It is my daughter, who will start secondary school later this year, who had diabetes (3 years since diagnosis). Like many I imagine I am finding it frustrating getting good control. Being a technophile I am kind of surprised there do not appear to be many system that analyse your sugar input, exercise, etc. and tell you what insulin levels you need. I come from a background in real-time software in the automotive industry. There we used novel process control techniques to improve how smooth engines run at tick-over. I'm guessing that that would not work well in a system which is more chaotic, like diabetes control. That said I wonder if statistical techniques could be used. Unfortunately the side of mathematics I disliked the most was statistics. I am also guessing that generating statistical information based on a single patient may not give you enough information to predict required insulin levels, but I don't actually know.

Obviously I appreciate that this is not a trivial problem to solve. If it was it would have been solved by now.

We have made some improvement in our understanding of my daughters diabetes by logging as much information as possible and creating a daily spreadsheet. This make us look back at what happened in the day and see if we can understand what is going on.

I am now looking a creating a logging system to store the information digitally in the hope that I can later create system to allow that data to be analysed.

- I would be interested in anyone who has used any logging software they actually liked (I have tired a few but, perhaps because I write software, I have not found one I like).
- Does anyone know of research on statistical techniques to assist individuals in setting insulin levels. Even research that looks at what people with good control are doing against people with bad control.

All the best dd

Bah - some sofware engineer I am. I can't even get the bullet lists to work :(

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi dd

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you get answers to the issue that you raise. You might want to try posting in or looking in the Diabetes Youth Club area of the Forum. I am sure that you are not the first parent who has looked for a better way of helping their child deal with diabetes.

Regards

Doug

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, don't know if this is any help
Guidelines for Optimal Bolus Calculator Settings in Adults.(note adults it may not applicable to a child! )
It is based on some research looking at the type of settings used by people with good control on an insulin pump.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3045234/
If you don't use a pump, there are bolus calculators like this one
http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/ ... xpert.html
and others available as downloads for mobile phones etc.

There may well be other useful articles in the archives of the Diabetes Science and Technology journal .