Diabetes UK national conference to have low carb debate !

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I notice there is an exciting debate at the Diabetes UK conference at Liverpool this year- on the Wednesday afternoon (March 5th);
- its called 'Its Time to stop promoting carbohydrates to people with diabetes'.
With well known dieticians to speak both for and against the motion it should be very exciting and push this important debate into the light a bit.
I have bought my ticket!!

Ps it was today Hundreds there and 'we won ' 70;30 !! A great debate. Well done Diabetes Uk and Trudy Deakin ,this forum was given a positive mention and there was a slide of one of Sam JB posts with a mention of the number of posts we get and why

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 20 people

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Excellent news, wish I could go but cannot. Please let us all know what happens at the debate

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
We want a full and total kick for punch update. Wish l had known sooner would have taken the day off and gone.
With my mouth though probably have got slung out.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Would have cost you though. About £200 to a non member.

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely about time - will wait with baited breath to see what the results of this are

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wonder what the emphasis will be. There aren't any clues in the background info I could find out.
They both have strong links with DAFNE. Carla Gianfrancesco was one of the original team who introduced it from Germany and Anita Beckwith is a current member of the DAFNE executive team.
At the moment both are involved in a trial comparing MDI+ structured education and insulin pumps.
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/scharr/sections/dts/ctru/repose
Carla Gianfrancesco has been involved in developing some T2 programmes but can't find anything for Anita Beckwith
The other thing I found is that the dietitiian involved in compiling Carbs and Cals is a member of the same dept as Anita Beckwith.

Last edited by a moderator:

alaska

I'd be very surprised if the For argument 'won' but am personally hoping that the overall outcome will provide recognition that cutting carbohydrates can be appropriate and successful in at least certain individuals.

In my case, adopting a low carb approach (now 4 years or so of having around 45-90g carbs a day) very much turned my life around for the better.

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I wonder what the emphasis will be. There aren't any clues in the background info I could find out.
They both have strong links with DAFNE. Carla Gianfrancesco was one of the original team who introduced it from Germany and Anita Beckwith is a current member of the DAFNE executive team.
At the moment both are involved in a trial comparing MDI+ structured education and insulin pumps.
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/scharr/sections/dts/ctru/repose
Carla Gianfrancesco has been involved in developing some T2 programmes but can't find anything for Anita Beckwith
The other thing I found is that the dietitiian involved in compiling Carbs and Cals is a member of the same dept as Anita Beckwith.
What is carbs and Cals -A book ? Could you explain a bit about it pleas?

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What a great idea - thanks I wonder if the dieticians from Kings in London are something to do with it as I notice one has an E mail address with carbs and Cals in it

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, Chris Cheyette (co author)is a dietitian at KIng's
Whilst I have you attention, I don't know if you have seen this http://www.easdvirtualmeeting.org/resources/6543
It's an interesting lecture on the differing (mis) interpretations of European guidelines in some countries, the evidence behind them and what they really meant. There is also a pic half way through which shows the type of bread that should be lower in GI (ie not the stuff they sell in supermarkets with a whole grain label(

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Apparently it is time that we stopped advising people with diabetes to eat carbohydrates !!!!! Amazing debate and 'we' won 70:30 Trudy Deakin was inspired and gave a great talk - including a positive mention of all you low carbers on this site !, There was even a slide of one of Sam JB posts in front of hundreds of people at the National DUK conference . Another slide featured my work so I'm dead chuffed. Such an exciting day The emphasis of Trudy's talk was educating about diabetes so that then people can have a better idea of the diet that suits them personally YES I AGREE

Reactions: 27 people