Diagnosed Type 2 - Tablets And Overwhelmed

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Please just don't get sucked into buying their ready made foods please.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not everyone struggles with bread etc, i had seed toast for breakfast, ham salad for lunch with berries and greek yogurt then fajitas for tea, a juicy pear, mango and raspberries and my blood sugar is lower than it was yesterday, i dont find that bread is a problem with blood sugars. What i will say is, make sure ur cholesteol is ok cos quite often it isnt in diabetics, then u have to be careful with saturated fat, cheese wouldnt be ideal, u would need to up the healthy fish oils instead

I agree that not everyone struggles with those foods.
However, Quirkybee clearly is struggling, according to her HbA1c, so until she gets her meter and does some testing, advising such high carb eating is probably unhelpful.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I'm confused about (amongst other things haha ), is how can a high fat low carb.diet work, moreso, the high fat? If I started changing my yogurts to full fat, by using butter and rating other foods high in fat etc, I know I'd pile the weight on, so I just don't understand this ratio. Plus, having high BP, then how can high fat do it any justice? Unless I am misunderstand it somewhere.

QuirkyBee - Where you are on your journey, I would recommend a book by Dr Trudi Deakin, called "Eat Fat".

Trudi is a Dietician (and PhD) and provider of T2 education courses, and she eats's a Lower Carb, Higher Fat diet. The book is wrritten in very good, layman's terms and gives the basics, without going to deeply into the science, so it covers a lot of ground.

It has menu ideas, as few recipes, a chapter on sweeteners, losing weight, alcohol, where to stat and how to maintain the lifestyle. It's £10 well spent, in my opinion.

http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/shop/details/p/handbook-lowcarb-highfat-lifestyle

Reactions: 3 people

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh thank you very much. I've saved the link and will read when not in work. I appreciate your help and it looks an interesting read.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
@Quirkybee, I know we joined the forums around the same time and I was diagnosed T2 a week ago today, but I probably have an unfair advantage from watching my husband (T2 for 16 years) experiment with the food combinations until he came up with something that made a difference to his readings. He's now doing LCHF with me.

I'm now a week in and I have lost 3kg and, even though I've only had my meter for a couple of days, I'm seeing the readings starting to fall. Today I seem to be levelling out in the sevens. I hope I'll see a further drop tomorrow.

I did an experiment with breakfast yesterday and today. Yesterday's was scrambled eggs with two rashers of bacon. I'm very fortunate in working somewhere that has a canteen (food's a bit hit and miss on the diabetic front, but the breakfast choices are good). It filled me up and my reading dropped from 9.1 (fasting) to 6.6 (two hours after eating). Today I had two Shredded Wheat with semi-skimmed milk and Stevia. By the time I took my reading two hours later, I was starving. Blood glucose readings 7.8 (fasting) and 7.5 (two hours after breakfast).

Yesterday I skipped my piece of fruit (usually an orange or an apple). That made a difference to my readings too, I think,

I know which breakfast I enjoyed more!

I'm also walking every opportunity I can, which I think helps too.

There's no reason why you can't still follow Slimming World - the encouragement you get from other people is amazing. I did it years ago and lost three stone. If you're following the Easy option, take your choices from the Green and Red as before, but take into account all the good advice that's been posted here.

Don't lose heart. This is a great time to try new foods and new combinations.

neety41

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I agree that not everyone struggles with those foods.
However, Quirkybee clearly is struggling, according to her HbA1c, so until she gets her meter and does some testing, advising such high carb eating is probably unhelpful.
Did i advise her to eat what i eat? ?? I dont think i did!!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did i advise her to eat what i eat? ?? I dont think i did!!!

No, you listed your own relatively high carb intake, no explanation of your own medical history, current meds or HbA1c.

Your profile states that you have prediabetes. Is this still the case? If so, how can listing your moderate/high carb intake be helpful to a newly diagnosed diabetic (with a high HbA1c), who is struggling to make dietary changes involving the very foods you are enjoying?

Last edited by a moderator:

goose64

Wow that's a lot of fruit, around what I would have eaten before I became diabetic. I now only have it occasionally because I can easily binge on it.I have replaced fruit with raw carrot

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi goose64

Is raw carrot good to snack on, if so, I'll try it?
How about green, red and yellow pepper?

Thank you

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi goose64

Is raw carrot good to snack on, if so, I'll try it?
How about green, red and yellow pepper?

Thank you
You would need to use your meter to check the carrots. Raw is better than cooked for some reason but the peppers would be much better. For snacking cucumber, celery, raw broccoli and cauliflower, peppers, a few cherry tomatoes, radishes. You could dip them in a full fat low carb salad dressing like caesar or ranch. Check the label if it is 1 or 2 carbs per serving it is fine.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You would need to use your meter to check the carrots. Raw is better than cooked for some reason but the peppers would be much better. For snacking cucumber, celery, raw broccoli and cauliflower, peppers, a few cherry tomatoes, radishes. You could dip them in a full fat low carb salad dressing like caesar or ranch. Check the label if it is 1 or 2 carbs per serving it is fine.
Just to prove the adage that we're all different - I'm fine with cooked carrots, but raw sends my BG skyward. The only way to know is to test.

Reactions: 6 people