Drinker friend has Hypos

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Rant time.

A close friend has always been perplexed about me having Diabetes, overall she was supportive until I told her my c-peptide results came in normal, I remember when she actually screeched in the pub once 'See I told you, there's nothing wrong with you!'.

(I was diagnosed T2 a few months ago and my Hbac1 is not that high over the threshold I admit, but my fasting glucose keeps coming in higher than normal threshold also - since self testing I've reached levels of 11 -13.1 at times more usually 9-10 post meals and around 7 or 9-10 in mornings. The medical professionals tell me I have it and I can see for myself the meter readings show abnormalities, it certainly illustrates why I feel unwell that's for sure.

I explained my Hbac1 to her and what tests determine if someone has Diabetes but deep down I still feel she just doesn't seem to take me seriously i.e that I don't drink that much generally and if I do (a glass of white wine and a pint of soda water!) then I usually eat something.

She asked 'Do you get hypos?' and I said no, but I can feel unwell and sometimes feel dizzy/nauseous but no blackouts/sickness/fits if that's what she meant but I've only been testing recently - she then said 'So what's the problem?'

It seems that unless I'm at risk of hypos, she didn't seem too empathetic.

So she sat there and told me how she gets hypos, when I questioned her further, she got rather defensive, adamant that they are hypos, "the shakes, dizziness etc" and has to eat sugary things to feel back to normal. Wait for it...

She has hypos brought on by nights excessive drinking!

It makes so angry - there I am, someone who has always taken care of themselves (not a smoker, keep fit, drink moderately, eat healthily) and I got diagnosed with Diabetes.

I was drinking my soda water and eating olives as she told me this, whilst she necked a pint and scoffed crisps telling me all about her hypos and how bad they are, after pretty much showing sceptism that I have Diabetes at all :evil:

Unbeliever

Aren't people odd? I know its not quite the same thing but my sister has been pre-diabetic for some years. She also has other health problems.

If i decline to eat or drink something when I am with her because it would affect my diabetes control she gets very angry. "Why can't you have it"? I have diabetes too!

Obviously they think it is a reflection on their own behaviour and it makes them feel guilty.

When I recently lost the weight I had gained through taking glimepirides, people were rushing to tell me that I would make myself ill and i had lost weight too wuickly. This was nonsemse as I was still a little heavier than I had been all my life prior to diagnosis and medication.
Those who had most to say where appreciably larger.

It is most unfair of those who don't want to deny themselves anything to put pressure on those who do. But that's life isn't it? Happens all the time .