Erratic blood sugars in 3rd trimester

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies,
I'm 28 weeks and 5 days pregnant.
My sugars have been literally up and down these past couple of days.

I'll have a hypo of 3.8 and have a banana to get me out of it then I shoot up to 14!

Had baby's heart monitored last night and he is fine! but I'm measuring at 31 weeks so he's a little big. My control has been tight through my whole pregnancy so having sugar readings like this is not normal!

Has anyone else had any similar Issues like this?
Thank you
Xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, I haven't had problems exactly like that (I'm 36 weeks) but I did notice certain stages of pregnancy where I'd have to increase my basal rates and/or insulin to carb ratio. One of those was around 28 weeks.

I find bananas hard to deal with carb-wise. They so often have far more carbs than I'd think. Next time you could maybe treat your hypo with glucose tablets because that's a controlled amount and then you can see how you respond.

Have you had any other funny readings? Sorry - I can't remember if you're on a pump. I am.

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I'm on a pump and a continuous glucose metre. I'm taking part In a study to which is why Iv got them!
Yeah the other night my sugars went down to 1.8 which I didn't really feel, then shoot up to 20, it's been similar readings to that all weekend

Xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's strange. Have you spoken to your diabetes team? My consultant told me I shoukd always alert them if I suddenly started getting hypos.

Not saying that to worry you at all - I'm sure everything is fine - but it does no harm to let your DSN and others know.

I used to get fairly regular hypos at night. So much so, that I set an alarm for 2am to test my blood sugars and treat any hypo. I keep Lucozade by my bed.

It may be nothing to do with your pregnancy. Have you tried changing your pump site - new cannula, new position? Occasionally, I'll get a cannula that's in a bad place and my sugars will go high ( had one of those a couple of weeks ago). Then I'd have to correct the highs and sometimes that could make my sugars go up and down.

The other thing is - have you recently changed your basal or bolus doses? Maybe they're slightly wrong or need more adjusting.

I'm guessing you use a normal meter to check your readings on the CGM too?

My best advice is make some notes abour what's been happening with as much detail as you can remember and speak to your DSN. Mine was very helpful when I had some issues early on. Keep us updated :)