Evening highs

sekv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey,
I'm 7 weeks + 5 pregnant. This week my levels have been fine 2 hours after dinner then an hour later have gone up. I've taken correction doses then an hour later they are higher still.
Has anybody else had this?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

Are you on a pump or injections?

I'm on a pump and had to adjust my basal upwards a number of times. Could it be that?

sekv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Injections... Typically I've had a hypo this evening instead! Ah!

Ash2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you taking your insulin before meals and how far in advance if you are? Have you spotted what meals are causing the rise? You may see this with pasta, pizza etc meals high in fat.

sekv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't really take my insulin a specific time before food.. Sometimes it's literally before I take the first bite, other times it's a good ten mins before. I'll try and keep at a standard time to see what happens. Thank you :)

There doesn't seem to be a pattern with what food. I thought maybe pizza as I had that two nights running but it happened with chilli as well. It's so frustrating not knowing what's causing it and worrying that it's going to cause a problem for baby :-/

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Injecting ahead of eating is good advice above. I still think you could maybe check your basal though. I found I had particular times when I had to increase my basal, and the evenings were one of those times. I saw a similar pattern to what you described - in range two hours after food but creeping up towards bedtime.

It's also worth double checking your carb count for the meals. I found that when I was pregnant, a slight under count for the carbs could push me high.