Excellent Sugar Levels Then Not So Suddenly!

A

asparagusp

I have been on Lantus, 10 units, for the last three months. I also am taking Metformi and Gliclazide, and for hyperactive tthyroid,, Carbimazole and Thyroxine..

Fasting blood sugar readings over the last few weeks have been excellent. I can have a run of say eight or thereabout readings that make me happy then out of the blue, 10.something for a couple of days. I know blood sugar will go up if one is fighting an infection. I will add that my diet is fairly constant..

I tested my Clucolab meter today with the control solution and it seems to be working.

It makes it difficult obviously to adjust the medication. I'm truly puzzled!

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots of things could cause spikes or high readings, as you said infections could be 1 , mine was cause by stress , are you under any extra worries etc at the moment.....................

Also some food effect people differently................

A

asparagusp

Thanks for your reply. No more stress than usual, more boredom than anything else, and nothing in my diet. I read last night that my thyroxine drug, Levothyroxine raises blood sugar levels with Metformin and other diabetic medications, including insulin! For the last three days, my fasting readings have been, 6.4, 5.8, 6.8 which are okay but higher than I have had ie 4.somehings and lower.

It takes several weeks for the thyroxine to fully work and this seems to tie in with 1) sudden increases by a few points and 2) higher normal readings ..... I'm wondering if by taking Levothyroxine at bedtime instead of first thing in the morning might help.

I need to consult a pharmacist or doctor!. Or both!