Exercise bike or rowing machine ?

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pre-diabetes I went to a sports centre, which made me do a Harvard step test without warm-up and I strained a knee. It didn't bother me too much at first and I found another gym.

The one mile walk warmed me up, I did a proper warm-up and then used Nautilus equipment. The knee got worse though and I ended up needing physio. I didn't put weight on, the exercises worked and I did Pilates instead.

So now I'm thinking with winter approaching, after walking this summer, that I want to exercise indoors.

I have found an exercise bike and a rowing machine but I am wondering which to buy first. I loved the rowing machine at the gym, but didn't care much for sitting on a bike.

The bike is more compact and I can listen to music without getting tangled up in wires.

Which would be easiest to start working on and which is least likely to injure me ?

maryjey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no experience with rowing machines but I love my stationary bike. I have been using it for years (since becoming diabetic nearly every day for half an hour). I can watch TV or read on my Kindle while exercising and I'm not bored. I don't know if I could row for half an hour.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I have a rowing machine (Concept 2) mainly for the secondary purpose of helping to tighten up the 6-pack which I know is under the remaining belly fat somewhere ...

I quite fancy a bike as well - one day ...

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm with @sanguine , rowing machine first. Very good all body exercise and if you are prepared to work at it properly, very effective fat burning can be achieved. For that you need to be prepared to work to strict HR caps for longish periods once you've built up enough initial endurance.

In bike terms, why not buy a road bike/hybrid with 700C wheels, you can the bung it on a turbo trainer over the winter and get out on the road in the summer. Plenty of cheap-ish second hand turbo trainers around.

Reactions: 6 people

navigator

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My name is Gerry. I am representing my 68 year old type 2 diabetic brother on this forum. He has been diabetic for some years and lives alone
What are the benefits dis-advantages of using tread mills.? My brother has a BMI of 38 and is sorely in need of exercise
BUT he has difficulty in walking un-aided and is not ready for a gym program. Hence my question. He has a rowing machine but cannot use it as he cannot get down or up from the machine
Any guidance and advise will be welcomed

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gerry, I suggest you get your brother to visit GP before he does exercise, as GP may want to check over his heart.

Once he's had the OK, GP may be able to refer him to water aerobics or gym or exercise classes for seniors free/reduced charge or even refer your brother for physiotherapy first.

Also, some sports centres and spas or gyms have toning chairs or beds which can be a good starter too.

As for me, I've been doing more walking. I still haven't decided which machine to buy first. No way would I bike on roads, way too dangerous !

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The wife had a exercise bike and it made her knees hurt !! then tried a rowing machine and her back went ! so she now has a manual treadmill .. that works better for her .. she also dances about when cooking and doing general thing around the cottage. She opted for the manual version of the treadmill as she cannot run.. way to many plates and screws in the leg and foot to run with.
I know this won't help you .. but its another option to think about ;)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My name is Gerry. I am representing my 68 year old type 2 diabetic brother on this forum. He has been diabetic for some years and lives alone
What are the benefits dis-advantages of using tread mills.? My brother has a BMI of 38 and is sorely in need of exercise
BUT he has difficulty in walking un-aided and is not ready for a gym program. Hence my question. He has a rowing machine but cannot use it as he cannot get down or up from the machine
@navigator My wife has a manual tread mill and loves it .. She has a problem leg, so the treadmill has a handle bar that is held onto for walking, she says its a little like pushing a very light car slightly up hill. at first she was only doing 1 min on it ..now is reading a book for half an hour while walking on it ..just holding the bar with one hand.... she cannot walk in the woods with me and the dog as she falls over tree roots and stones, due to the foot/leg problems. The machine the wife has is its runner set at a slight angle .. this cannot be changed .. but have read others putting blocks under the back of the tread mill to make the walking area level .. As the wife says the tread mill is designed to be use holding onto the bar .. so if she stumbles ..she is holding onto the bar and should not fall. so a manual tread mill gets the full five ***** stars from us.:)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Look at the Concept 2 range, there is one model, I think the Model E, which is higher than the others for that reason. They also do a hire, or hire to buy scheme. The things are bulletproof and hold their value well.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
With concept 2 you need a big area!! Had one in my lounge for 3 years (hubby). Very rarely used..... Held its price when it got sold though!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Gym referals do take in to account persons abilities and disabilities... If weakness on legs and standing/walking there are floor exercises that really do well for core muscles..
There's seated machines for leg exercises and shoulder and chest.

For all referrals there should be a structured tailored programme put in place.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With concept 2 you need a big area!! Had one in my lounge for 3 years (hubby). Very rarely used..... Held its price when it got sold though!!
mine is in my gym stood on end, only take up room when in use.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If we had one extra room, we could have our own gym but I feel.kinda embarrassed to admit that there's just two of us in an eight room house as it is.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Bike or rowing machine - or treadmill come to that! any would be great. Invest first in what you think you would enjoy most.

The only thing I would say about an exercise bike - particularly if you have had issues with your knees before, is just as you would with a road bike, make sure the cycling position can be adjusted adequately for best 'fit'. Try to get an understanding of what your optimum leg angle should be/the amount of bend/the foot position etc, so that when you try out a bike you know it will suit your body shape and will minimise strain on your joints.

Reactions: 6 people

navigator

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
THanks to everyone who put in their time to answer the question. And all very useful replies.
Will do the research into the various solutions. I note the comment about getting guidance and support from the GP and that is on the list of must do before the decision
Thanks Again