falling of the rails

das63

Hi all
i was told i had diabetes type 2 in jan this year and instantly changed my life style ,
i lost quite a bit weight ,ate all the right foods, even stopped smoking,this lasted for about 4 mouths,
i have started smoking again ,eating everything i shouldn't,
is this a normal thing people have gone thro i feel like im rebelling against my condition im taking 2 met a day and despretly want to get back to health living before its to late any advise would be appreciated

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Hi, I think the mistake we make when we get diagnosed is trying to change all in one go.

I've tried many drastic measures since I was diagnosed in March, I'm still learning and I'm sure there are folk here who will confess after many years of being Diabetic they're still learning too. I went through the denial stage, the anger stage and the I don't give a **** stage.

I've learned many useful things from the forum and one great piece of advice is accepting that we're stuck with this illness for the rest of our lives therefore we have time to manage it.

So if you're back on the cigs, I can understand why, it's a stressful time for you and you've only been diagnosed a few months. (I'm an ex smoker, I quit 8 years ago - wish I can do the same with booze though...but I do like my wine and G&Ts LOL ).

Don't be too hard on yourself, you didn't cause your Diabetes but the good news is you can manage it. So enjoy your cig and unhealthy eating today.

Tomorrow is a new day :)

p.s I'm recovering from an epic night of red wine, bag of crisps and five chocs out of the Heroes box! I've also just finished 2 Ginger nut biscuits...so we all have our down times.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
das63 said:
Hi all
i was told i had diabetes type 2 in jan this year and instantly changed my life style ,
i lost quite a bit weight ,ate all the right foods, even stopped smoking,this lasted for about 4 mouths,
i have started smoking again ,eating everything i shouldn't,
is this a normal thing people have gone thro i feel like im rebelling against my condition im taking 2 met a day and despretly want to get back to health living before its to late any advise would be appreciated

Hi,

A very good post from Sanober, i also think too much too fast causes you to feel resentful towards diabetes and want to rebel against it and do what you want and eat what you want!

When i went 'off the rails' i got back on the wagon by writing a list and noting everything i wanted to acheive. Simple things like, taking every insulin injection. Testing before every meal.. etc

It helped me concentrate on one thing and not overwhelming myself.

I too smoke, thats one thing i haven't yet cracked. :oops: but i'm confident i'll get there eventually in my own time.

It's never too late to go back to healthy living, but obviously the sooner the do it the better you'll feel. The satisfaction from acheiving what you set out to do is far greater than the 10 second satisfaction from eating the whole biscuit barrel
:lol:

Don't beat yourself up about slipping up, you did it, it's done and dusted. It's more about what you do tomorrow than what you did yesterday :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Ebony321 posted:

It's more about what you do tomorrow than what you did yesterday

May I pinch this for my signature, please, Ebony? What a great motto!

Viv 8)

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
viviennem said:
Ebony321 posted:

It's more about what you do tomorrow than what you did yesterday

May I pinch this for my signature, please, Ebony? What a great motto!

Viv 8)

I agree with Viv, nice motto indeed!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Great motto and very apt !
Just like to mention, if things get too much, an easy way is to break them down into smaller chunks.
Bite size bits - - then you can bit by bit accomplish and achieve all you wish to more easily.
If you try to do bigger things and cant get it done, its easier to just give up and feel worse for giving up on it. I too have been there with this one.
Hope this helps?
Anna.x :D