Faulty Monitors

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys,

Bit random but i just read an article on a young diabetic who was seriously ill due to her glucose monitor being faulty and reading wrong readings. I just wanted to know if anyone knows how to test the condition of the accuracy of a glucose monitor?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are control solutions for each different meter, and each box of strips should tell you what values the control solutions should be within (although some of the ranges are quite large)

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@emily deacon - Oh yes! There is a 'control solution' that can be bought (online or from or ordered from a pharmacy) for every make and model of BG meter.

And, you can also, or instead of, take your BG reading from your meter, just before when you get your blood lipids/HBA1c checked, also get a standard blood glucose reading as well, and compare and contrast when you get the results back. Also, can take the averages of your BGs, and compare and contrast with your HBA1c when you get the results back.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sorry to double up on the info - I didn't check the messages posted since I read the original!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have more than one meter, in case I step on it, lose it, have it stolen or can't find it because I put in in the fridge or such. Occasionaly I test with both, and as long as they're within 1 mmol/l to eachother I suppose they're fine.

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s that’s great, the only issue i have is my GP is quite restricting with my testing strips, sometimes they even randomly give me different strips because of the costs. I have other monitors but getting them to give me spare strips for them may be a struggle

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s that’s great, the only issue i have is my GP is quite restricting with my testing strips, sometimes they even randomly give me different strips because of the costs. I have other monitors but getting them to give me spare strips for them may be a struggle

Could you buy one of the meters many T2s use that have the cheapest strips and use it as a spare, just for comparison purposes? The Tee2 has a reasonably good reputation on this forum.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free.