Fertility drugs (Clomid) causing havoc to sugar levels!

anna79

I'm currently taking Clomid (boosts ovulation) as trying to conceive, but the drugs are completely ruining my control which is normally very good. It's all very well the doctors and nurses saying that tight control is essential when trying to conceive, but what can I do when these drugs put a big spanner in the works messing it all up with crazy hormones?! There doesn't seem to be any patterns either - so I'm like a dog chasing my tail with regards to insulin rates, ratios and corrections! The highs do worry me a lot!

Wondering if anyone else on Clomid has had similar reactions..? Need some reassurance I guess! :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't take Clomid, but I did have to take artificial hormones and they put my blood sugar right up. I had to have more insulin for my boluses and adjusted my basals slightly too (I'm on a pump). It was frightening to start with, but I gradually realised what my new pattern was and so I was able to adjust my insulin to keep my blood sugars down. I did a lot of corrective doses at the beginning.

However, I think I'm right in saying that Clomid is only taken for a few days each month? If that's the case, then you'd have to be very careful about any adjustments. All you can do is test, test and correct. Then maybe speak to your DSN and come up with a plan for adjusting insulin doses if that was needed.

Best of luck : )