Type 2 Fine tuning BG with Metformin?

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am diet-controlled T2 and have been able to keep my BGs in check for the last 3 years with an average BG of 6 mmol/l. I would like to see the average below 100. I am not insulin resistant, overweight. I am more concerned about my postprandial spikes. On low-carb, i can keep my spikes below 7 mmol/l. Due to low carb, my LDL shot up (im a hyper absorber), so I want to add some carbs back to plummet my LDL. With adding few carbs is definitely going to raise my postprandial. So in the absence of insulin resistance and central obesity/visceral fats, do you think Metformin still can help me get away with few extra carbs or it literally wont help? I know Metformin does help in insulin resistance, but my HOMA-IR is below 1 which is good insulin sensitivity. Thanks.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in April 2003 and metformin was prescribed for me some 10 years later.

Metformin has multiple effects:

1) decreases the amount of glucose that the body absorbs from food.

2) promotes the excretion of blood glucose from the large intestine into the stool.

3) reduces the production of glucose in the liver ie. inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis (which results in the breakdown of lactate, proteins, lipids plus other substrates and formation of gluconeogenic glucose. This provides glucose when dietary intake is insufficient or absent, for instance, overnight).

4) stimulates glucose uptake in skeletal muscle and improves peripheral insulin sensitivity.

Unlike most anti-diabetic drugs, metformin does not stimulate the production of insulin. It lowers blood glucose gradually when combined with a healthy diet and exercise.

IME, it takes 5-6 days before its effects start to be felt and works best following exercise the previous day.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in April 2003 and metformin was prescribed for me some 10 years later.

Metformin has multiple effects:

1) decreases the amount of glucose that the body absorbs from food.

2) promotes the excretion of blood glucose from the large intestine into the stool.

3) reduces the production of glucose in the liver ie. inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis (which results in the breakdown of lactate, proteins, lipids plus other substrates and formation of gluconeogenic glucose. This provides glucose when dietary intake is insufficient or absent, for instance, overnight).

4) stimulates glucose uptake in skeletal muscle and improves peripheral insulin sensitivity.

Unlike most anti-diabetic drugs, metformin does not stimulate the production of insulin. It lowers blood glucose gradually when combined with a healthy diet and exercise.

IME, it takes 5-6 days before its effects start to be felt and works best following exercise the previous day.
Thanks, do you have insulin resistance or visceral fats or you are lean. That is the issue that i read that in lean people effect of Metformin is negligible.

Reactions: LivingLightly

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since diagnosis, my weight has remained normal. Visceral fats have been checked periodically and remain within normal parameters. I have developed some insulin resistance, especially first thing in the morning.