First clinic

cheesesoup

Few days later but I only just received my letter of "levels". Doctor was telling me what they were and I was writing them down but when he said "feel free to jot these numbers down but you will get a letter with them in" I stopped jotting. It was all abit overwhelming anyway and I just "yes"ed and "I see"d all the way through (it didn't help that there was a medical student there). They seemed to be obsessed with feet to the exclusion of all else (I realise feet can lose circulation and hence injuries can go unnoticed/untreated until problems develop), and although everyone seemed to take great pains to put everything into simple words it was still all a bit overwhelming.

Along with type 2 I have high(ish) cholesterol[1]and high(ish)[2] blood pressure, so I have drugs for them too, so Metformin to control BG, Silvastan for cholesterol and Lisinpropol to control blood pressure. Oh and surprise surprise I am overweight and have been told to lose weight (I realise that weight is not a CAUSAL factor but it does increase the risk of developing type 2). The first one to mention "typical Scottish diet" gets a knowing look.

[1] Although my total cholesterol at 4.1 is OK the level of "healthy cholesterol" at 0.6 is low so the ratio of total to healthy cholesterol is out.

[2] My blood pressure was measured at 158/80 the 80 is fine but the Doctor thinks the 158 warrants medical intervention.

TBH I am not sure those cholesterol and BP levels require medical intervention but if the doctor thinks they do...,
but at an HbA1c of 9.2 (77) I feel medical intervention in respect of BG is warranted

MaryJ

Hi cheesesoup

I was on BP tablets before I was diagnosed with db, not massively high but a bit raised. I did go on tablets and they brought it under control.

Now 8 months on from diabetes diagnosis and 3 stone lighter I'm on half the bp tablets I was and my Cholesterol (all aspects) has improved.

My advisc is go for it big time (via low carbing) controlling your BGs, the rest will fall into place. You could ask for 3 months to try and get them under control for yourself?

Mary x

Mary x