For my next endeavour (pancake recipes please)

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to try making very low carb pancakes for pancake Tuesday on the 13th. Baring in mind I'm new to this cooking malarky, does anyone have a straightforward recipe I could try. I already have loads of ingredients and don't mind buying anything I'm missing.

• Creative
Reactions: Antje77

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to try making very low carb pancakes for pancake Tuesday on the 13th. Baring in mind I'm new to this cooking malarky, does anyone have a straightforward recipe I could try. I already have loads of ingredients and don't mind buying anything I'm missing.
@maglil55 is usually ace for this sort of thing.

AbbayMel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really like Queen Keto's recipes. I haven't tried her pancakes, but the recipe is adapted from her Yorkshire puddings which are the best I have ever had. I can't post the link but if you Goggle Queen Keto crepes it should come up. They have lupin flour in them, I got mine from Morrison's but you can also get it online and I think I have seen it in Holland & Barrett too.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Never heard of pancake tuesday but it sounds good to me!
So I'm following this thread for recipes. :joyful:

In the Netherlands we have Saint Pancake day on 29 november, which is celebrated by putting a pancake on your head before eating it. Not kidding, social media is full of people with pancakes on their head on that day. https://www.24oranges.nl/2016/11/27/saint-pancake-a-very-real-tradition-that-started-in-a-comic/

1707224040358.png

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if you Goggle Queen Keto crepes it should come up.
I found it! Thank you @AbbayMel for another great resource.In this instance these are English pancakes and whilst I've nothing against good English fayre, Scottish pancakes are smaller, less crepe and more fluff, like American pancakes.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Never heard of pancake tuesday but it sounds good to me!
So I'm following this thread for recipes. :joyful:

In the Netherlands we have Saint Pancake day on 29 november, which is celebrated by putting a pancake on your head before eating it. Not kidding, social media is full of people with pancakes on their head on that day. https://www.24oranges.nl/2016/11/27/saint-pancake-a-very-real-tradition-that-started-in-a-comic/

View attachment 66013
That is so funny thank you for sharing. Our pancake day is on Shrove Tuesday and it's a pre lent tradition to use ingredients before the fasting of lent ahead

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i thought about that earlier today @MrsA2 @Antje77

Dutch Shrove Tuesday – Vastenavond / Vette Dinsdag

In the Netherlands, Tuesday marks the last day of Carnaval. At midnight, the party finishes and Ash Wednesday starts, the first day of Lent, Vastentijd, the days of fasting before aster

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77 and MrsA2

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
  • Informative
Reactions: Margarettt

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 pancake Tuesday = Mardi Gras.
The day before Lent starts.
is there a Dutch equivalent?

Edited for typos
i thought about that earlier today @MrsA2 @Antje77

Dutch Shrove Tuesday – Vastenavond / Vette Dinsdag

In the Netherlands, Tuesday marks the last day of Carnaval. At midnight, the party finishes and Ash Wednesday starts, the first day of Lent, Vastentijd, the days of fasting before aster
So interesting, and I saw the pre-edited version briefly just before my screen refreshed. Did you just call me Antjepancake @MrsA2 ? :hilarious:
I fully approve of that new username!

As for the Dutch equivalent, I'm completely lacking on knowledge about both Carnaval and Lent/Vastentijd.
Carnaval is a thing in the Netherlands, but only 'below the rivers' (the south and traditionally Catholic part of my country), and I've always lived 'above the rivers'. I only found out it's the time of Carnaval this morning, because of the very odd choice of party music our aqua jogging trainer used. Dutch Carnaval music is erm, something else.
As for Shrove tuesday/Ash wednesday/Lent, both sides of my family have been agnostic for at least 3 generations, so I haven't really been aware of any of this.
Still, no reason to not eat pancakes on 13 february, or cook, paint and hide loads of eggs at easter! :joyful:
:) :) Yes! My granny called them drop scones. That's exactly what I want !!!!
And to stay somewhat on topic, a google search on 'drop scones keto' gives quite a few results. I haven't tried any of them so not sure if this is helpful.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As for Shrove tuesday/Ash wednesday/Lent, both sides of my family have been agnostic for at least 3 generations, so I haven't really been aware of any of this.
Still, no reason to not eat pancakes on 13 february, or cook, paint and hide loads of eggs at easter! :joyful:
I'm exactly the same @Antje77 . For many years I was a single mum to two boys and determined they would enjoy every celebration. As teenagers they believed they had to be home for dinner on these days and it stuck. Hence haggis on Burns day and St Andrews day. Pancake day for us has no more significance than the spooky pasta at Halloween or the baked potato (traditionally cooked in a bonfire) on Guy Fawks night. Its just a celebration.
Six years ago I acquired an American husband and got to add Thanksgiving and the 4th July to the reasons my grown up children HAVE to be at their mother's dinner table.