Freezing cauliflower rice

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
does anyone freeze it! Do you freeze just the cauli or after the whole thing is done, oiled, seasoned etc?

What happens if you steam it instead of sauté in oil? Mush?

And how long does it stay good in the fridge?

All this chatter about it I'm ready to try it. Just hoping my stomach holds up to it!!

Last edited:

Carolvon

does anyone freeze it! Do you freeze just the cauli or after the whole thing is done, oiled, seasoned etc?

What happens if you steam it instead of sauté in oil? Mush?

And how long does it stay good in the fridge?

All this chatter about it I'm ready to try it. Just hoping my stomach holds up to it!!
I freeze cauliflower quite well in portion sizes, I cook it direct by spreading on baking tray, salt pepper and coriander, it really is delicious and it dries out well.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once processed into rice type consistency I put it into Chinese Chippy type containers for portion size and then I freeze it. I don't add anything to it and I just microwave it when I need it. You can add stuff then instead of having it predetermined in the freezer.

So far I have not got an ideal microwave time since I don't think it matters much. Once it is defrosted and hot it's fine.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm....decisions decisions maybe I'll roast some, microwave some and sauté some haha. See which I like better. I'd like to add flavors before freezing. I don't mind it cold.

No oil before roasting?

Steam in water or dry?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I just whizz it up raw and stick in freezer? Defrost night before using in the fridge.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I drizzle n oil and herbs before roasting and turn over with a spatula 1/2 way through. Mine goes on a heavy swiss roll tray with grease proof paper and generally about cm thick when roasting.
Have never steamed it in any shape.
I do put it in corned beef mushy veg hash too. Again with herbs. That is defrosted first the night before.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I drizzle n oil and herbs before roasting and turn over with a spatula 1/2 way through. Mine goes on a heavy swiss roll tray with grease proof paper and generally about cm thick when roasting.
Have never steamed it in any shape.
I do put it in corned beef mushy veg hash too. Again with herbs. That is defrosted first the night before.
Is it cooked soft enough for your digestion just roasting ? That's why I was thinking of steaming it a little first then either roasting or sautéing in oil and herbs.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes, it goes through me fine... absolutely no problems.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it goes through me fine... absolutely no problems.
Me too. But it stinking spiked me!!! I only had about two tablespoons.

I steamed it for about 5 min in water in my sauté pan. Then drained. Added back to the pan and waited for the excess water to eveporate. Added garlic and basil olive oil, fresh basil and salt. It was delish.

I froze some in 2 oz containers

Why do these low carb veggies spike me ??? Infuriating.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My spikes and drops mainly occur when food is (hypo) not digested quick enough ir a rise if it has digested nicely! Its knowing what food acts which way constantly. Probably why I do big batches and have 3 days in a row. By the 3rd day of new food I'm knowing how it reactsin my digestive system more.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made some cauliflower rice and it looked like rice, but that was its only good thing about it, otherwise it was a waste of a cauliflower. So now I accompany curries etc with a cauliflower bhaji, roast cauliflower, cauliflower and chickpea curry - much better!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made some cauliflower rice and it looked like rice, but that was its only good thing about it, otherwise it was a waste of a cauliflower. So now I accompany curries etc with a cauliflower bhaji, roast cauliflower, cauliflower and chickpea curry - much better!

In my experience Mr_Pot, how acceptable cauliflower rice is, to me, very much dependent upon how it is cooked, and what flavours may or may not have been added to it.

I do mine quickly in a hot wok, and for curries use Pilau seasoning, or turmeric. Similarly, if I am doing a pretendy Paella, I'll use Paella seasonings. For pretendy Kedgeree,....... you get the drift?

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree it's really boring without some herbs, oil and salt. I see now it's a palette for anything!!

Even my mushroom herbed gravy!!

B

badcat

Some rather nice cauli rice curry accompniements in here ( not all recipes are cauli rice rather than cauli, not all are low carb compatible but some are both)

http://www.goodfood.com.au/search?type=&text=Cauliflower+rice