Frozen Shoulder Surgery and BGs

Logie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am going in for surgery end of Oct to have my frozen shoulder fixed. Part of the op will be a steroid injection which I gather will increase my BGs. Don't know how long this will last and never had an operation in my life so don't know how pain etc will effect my BGs (I'd expect them to rise). Currently their maintained in targets, any advice? Any other type 1s had this op and can share their experience... not going to lie am ******** myself but keep telling myself that long term I'll be pain free, able to move, sleep etc

iHs

When you say surgery.....what are we talking about here? Are you having an MUA manipulation under anaesthetic or some other procedure?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pre (if having the steroid injections) and post-op you can follow the Sick Day Rules if your bg levels are high, try not to worry about the operation as I'm sure they know what they are doing and will look after you before and after, if in any doubt whilst admitted ask to see one of the hospital DSN's.

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=141

Logie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surgery is keyhole, an arthroscopic Arthrolysis with steroid injection. Apparently I my arm will be immobile for 2 days due to the nerve block and once that the pain kicks in big style but I'm to keep moving it... That's all I know. Only been T1 for a year, obviously concerned how it will all impact on my BGs? Methinks I'll give diabetic nurse a shout

khristina.b

I had an op for frozen shoulder in July. Prior to this in feb I had a steroid injection. The effects of the injection raised my blood sugars quite drastically for 2 months and didn't actually help. I'm now 2 months post op. I wouldn't agree to another injection. Post op my sugars were very high following anaesthesia for about 3 days then settled right down again. I would seriously think about having a steroid injection at the same time as the op and would question it.

khristina.b

Also I must add that I was told it was going to be very painful. This wasn't the case at all, and I was very surprised at the fact there was hardly any visible bruising. Hope you find that reassuring and good luck. I'm just waiting to decide whether to have the other shoulder operated on or not, as I have it in both shoulders.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure whether to say this but perhaps it's worth taking into account. True frozen shoulder, adhesive capsulitis, is not improved by steroids as such whereas the many variants of fibromyalgia can be. Frozen shoulder is where the capsule surrounding the shoulder shrinks and clamps the shoulder. The cause is unknown and surgery may or may not be relevant. In your case the steroids may be part of the op and not directly to cure the frozen shoulder so I'm not saying it's wrong. This info was given to my wife who has had 3 frozen shoulders which each lasted 1 to 2 years. Her consultant told her about the steroids and the different diagnosis. Yes, steroids can have a big effect on blood sugar so sick day rules apply. I would try to avoid the hospital doing 'Sliding Scale' insulin management as many nurses haven't a clue about insulin management; best to manage it yourself with guidance from staff as needed. I've done this for my last two ops and the staff were happy to work with me this way.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had arthroscopic release on both my shoulders but declined steroid injections as I had a bad experience with steroids and very high blood sugar after a previous shoulder operation.

The operation just leaves a small scar on the front of the shoulder and I found it has helped give me some movement back as well as reducing the pain. If you can bear the pain from a frozen shoulder you will be able to manage the pain once the nerve block has worn off. My arm with the nerve block in was put in a sling after surgery as you can't tell where your arm is until feeling returns after a few hours. I had a sliding scale and returned to using my pump as soon as possible, my blood sugar was pretty stable throughout. Good luck with it.

Logie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies, very much appreciated. Especially kristina's very reassuring and some comfort. The steroid injection is part of the op, I'll know more when I go for the pre-op consultation on the 3rd.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would urge you to go to a good osteopath for your frozen shoulder before having invasive surgery breaching the capsule. Sometimes surgery works, sometimes it works for a while, sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes it comes back.

I have had total remission of severe frozen shoulder by osteopathy after various courses of physio had failed to resolve it. The NHS had me down for keyhole surgery after physio failed. Please give osteopathy a try. PM me for contact details of a good osteo.

Logie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Spiker,
How do I PM you, I'm new to this forum... I did contact European School of osteopathy and when I saw them they said as it was completely frozen and there was no movement there was nothing that could be done other than surgery?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh well I did have some movement left and I guess that is a prerequisite for a movement based therapy.

Google Chris Tempest of Tempest Health care if you are in the south east.