ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
This pic shows my blood sugar figures today. After 8.2 after waking up my figures have been good for me at 6s and 7s but I thought I’d see what fruit did. Yep, a big old spike to 11.5. But a 26 minute half jog half walk for 2 miles dropped it straight back to 6.8. So no fruit for me :-( and exercise really does take sugar out of your blood View attachment 27916
It doesn't take sugar out of your body.
It gets processed through the liver and muscles quicker with your natural level of produced insulin.

Geoffno6

Are we splitting hairs cos my basic science says that if we exercise we breath in and pump round more oxygen and breath out CO2 and if we burn sugar which is a hydrocarbon, the main by products are H2O and CO2. So if we say oxidising is burning then we do burn the sugars even if it’s by a indirect circuitous route. Thanks for the link @Alexandra100. I’ll have a study, btw I enjoyed the rather brutal panorama

Geoffno6

Oh wow, my pre diagnosis diet which included 5 fruits a day and and 2 or 3 pints of cider per day probably murdered my liver with its two pronged attack and probably caused insulin resistance according to the link up the thread from @Alexandra100

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh wow, my pre diagnosis diet which included 5 fruits a day and and 2 or 3 pints of cider per day probably murdered my liver with its two pronged attack and probably caused insulin resistance according to the link up the thread from @Alexandra100
Yes, prior to my road to Damascus moment I could have been described as a fruitarian! I added in some protein and vegetables as a duty. Just be glad you found out: some people never do. One criticism of the Panorama report: no-one seemed to be urging these poor people to eat low carb.

Geoffno6

I think I’ve arrived in Damascus, the food is dull and limited, I’m not allowed beer and cider or my beloved fruit but ..... I’m not hungry and eating all the time and I might live!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I’ve arrived in Damascus, the food is dull and limited, I’m not allowed beer and cider or my beloved fruit but ..... I’m not hungry and eating all the time and I might live!
Believe me, when they are all there is, vegetables become appetising (providing they're covered in lashings of strong cheddar, grated or Hellman's Real mayonnaise, or even Maille Dijon mustard). And 100% cocoa chocolate starts to taste quite sweet, and double cream positively syrupy.

Reactions: Geoffno6

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Eat vegetables to get your Vitamin C otherwise you need to have bolus insulin dose to counter the sugars in fruit (which varies depending on the type of fruit).