G7 sensor

drs3350

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m just wondering if anyone else has had this happen with the G7 sensor. I’ve been diabetic for 48 years. This morning I got a low alert on my pump. Just woke up so I ate some stuff to get it back up still half asleep. Shortly after I noticed I didn’t feel low. My reading were wildly erratic. I later took a shower and noticed that I had left an old expired sensor on. My question is.. is it possible that my old sensor still being attached could have affected my readings? I took it off and it seems like the readings are fine now???

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @drs3350 and welcome to the forums.

I've been using the G7 for about 6 months (apart from a brief return to G6 while starting pump therapy) and haven't experienced that. Once your new sensor is activated the signal from the old one should drop off, though if you insert it before ending the old sensor you will see a period of dual sensor results because when the sensor is activated the G7 app shows its results from first insertion, not just activation.

I do find that new sensors can sometimes be pretty erratic for first 12 to 24 hours, so I try to insert mine once the grace period on old sensor starts, and only activate once the grace period finishes (giving me 12 hours of bedding in time).

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I’m just wondering if anyone else has had this happen with the G7 sensor. I’ve been diabetic for 48 years. This morning I got a low alert on my pump. Just woke up so I ate some stuff to get it back up still half asleep. Shortly after I noticed I didn’t feel low. My reading were wildly erratic. I later took a shower and noticed that I had left an old expired sensor on. My question is.. is it possible that my old sensor still being attached could have affected my readings? I took it off and it seems like the readings are fine now???

No, they are coded differently, so won’t affect each other.. but there are reasons this can happen

Compression low.. sleeping on the sensor (applying pressure) can cause lows

Erratic readings in first 12 to 18hours

Dehydration

Faulty sensor

It’s still stated that ‘unexpected’ readings should be double checked.. not so bad with lows as the worst that will happen is you’ll be a bit high after eating.. but certainly treating unexpected heights could be dangerous