GI Index list

Danny Hyslop

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,
Is there, or does anyone have a good and reliable source for obtaining the GI index of foods in list format. I'm struggling to find a reliable and trustworthy place or app for information. A general search online just brings up lists that contradict. I've been taking wheetabix for the last few weeks thinking it was good GI only to find out today it's 79, if in fact that is true, lol.

Thank-you for your input :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
Is there, or does anyone have a good and reliable source for obtaining the GI index of foods in list format. I'm struggling to find a reliable and trustworthy place or app for information. A general search online just brings up lists that contradict. I've been taking wheetabix for the last few weeks thinking it was good GI only to find out today it's 79, if in fact that is true, lol.

Do you use a meter to test your blood glucose before and after meals?

I found counting the carbs in my meals much more useful than looking at the GI, as all carbs raise me (unless I take insulin for them, being a T1). GI makes much less difference for me.

Danny Hyslop

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you use a meter to test your blood glucose before and after meals?

I found counting the carbs in my meals much more useful than looking at the GI, as all carbs raise me (unless I take insulin for them, being a T1). GI makes much less difference for me.
Yes, I use a Sinocare meter. I've just been advised by a few of my health professionals to look into both carb and GI counts on the foods I eat. I have a few booklets on cards and healthy diets, but they give limited info on low GI foods.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been taking wheetabix for the last few weeks thinking it was good GI only to find out today it's 79, if in fact that is true, lol.
What did your glucose meter tell you about how you reacted to the Weetabix when you were testing before and after eating it?
It's pretty unusual for diabetics to do well with Weetabix, not because of the GI but because of the large amount of carbs.

Reactions: MissMuffett

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Weetabix is 69% carbs - the GI or GL of a food made no difference to me when I checked using a blood glucose meter.
For an ordinary uncomplicated type 2 the trick is to reduce carbs, down to whatever level is going to keep you in normal numbers - though the way different foods affect people can be puzzling - some can eat ordinary porridge whilst for others it is a definite no. Some, like me appear to be able to extract more carbs from beans and peas than the listed values - almost double. The best way to assess what to eat is to use a test meter after meals.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I find that GI does make a slight difference to me. I can eat white bread and brown bread with the same amount of carbs (and hence insulin) but the lower gi bread spikes me far far less. But I'm lowish carb rather than very low carb, so do eat bread in moderation. I suspect that gi may not be relevant to many of the low carbing T2s here, as they just don't eat much carby food. And I'm T1, so I just inject for the (lowish) carb load.

As regards weetabix

Apparently the manufacturers got into trouble with the advertising standards authority because they claimed weetabix had a "low" gi, as it's 47 when taken with milk ,but on its own is high gi.

Reactions: MissMuffett

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, personally, GI was a bit of a smoke screen. It made zero difference to me or the numbers I was getting.

I decided to concentrate on reducing carbs (irrespective of GI0, which worked extremely well for me. I have now been in remission for over 10 years.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

GI values make absolutely no difference to me. I have a feeling that they're a convenient figure (but for me meaningless) quoted by manufacturers to make items seem "healthy" by putting what looks like an objective value on them.

The only thing that does matter to me is the amount of carb, and secondly the form it comes in. Anything carb that's liquid/mushy and hot is absorbed particularly quickly.

Personally I don't and wouldn't eat weetabix or any other breakfast cereal, because of the high carb content.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier and Antje77