GI

nicwnacw

Hi all, I'm in the prediabetic range, doing low cal, almost keto diet. Getting different results for the same food on different days. Anyone else have this?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Food is only one thing that can affect our blood sugars.
I would only expect the same results from eating the same food if I lived in a sealed bubble with no stress, no illness, no pain, no drugs, exactly the same exercise, …

tiredgirl91

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Food is only one thing that can affect our blood sugars.
I would only expect the same results from eating the same food if I lived in a sealed bubble with no stress, no illness, no pain, no drugs, exactly the same exercise, …

Exactly this.
Sometimes I even get the same readings after eating a high carb vs a low carb meal

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In addition to @In Response's list of reasons for variations in results, I also work on the basis that in real life it's not possible to calculate or expect absolute values for carbs, fats, protein , etc in any given weight of food., e.g. different varieties, growing or living conditions, etc will have an affect on the actual values for different crops or animals,, poultry, fish etc from different places at different times. Nor do I believe that the preparation, cooking and quantities of each meal can ever be absolitely identical. Additionally, meters are permitted a much quoted 15% variation in the results they give. So we can only ever work on a "best guesstimate" of our glucose levels, and I've chosen to work with a target range that I try to keep within. For me, this has worked well in keeping my T2 at (low) pre-diabetic levels for over 9 years now without me having to worry/fuss over the actual numbers.