Gluteus Maximus Injectius

Scardoc

Not a close relative of Maximus Decimus Meridius but if high blood glucose readings and slowly increasing Hba1c's have been my Emperor Commodus, then like Russell Crowe's ancient Roman alter ego, I have stuck the knife in them and am off to a better place.

The purpose of this post is not to recount the greatness of the film Gladiator but to sound a reminder to people about rotating injection sites. Probably teaching a few of you to suck eggs but after 6 years of over reliance on the fatty ring around my middle, lipohypertrophy and the belief that I had no other feasible sites in which to inject, I have been taught otherwise. A very helpful diabetes nurse gave me some 4mm needles to try in the area around my buttocks and buttocks themselves. Now, I am not quite as well sculpted as the afore mentioned Mr Crowe in this area but from running do have a decent set of glutes. So I was sceptical. However, the results are, to quote the youth of today "totes amazeballs". Can't believe I said that.

I was going to increase my lantus as my morning readings were in the 7's and 8's, however, since starting on the posterior I have been in the 5's every single morning. I am getting great readings and having to be wary of hypos. It's been a few years since I needed to snack mid morning and afternoon to keep me at a good level but those days are back. I don't know how long I will get out of this new area before I resemble a baboon and am going to be very careful as I don't want to end up with ghetto booty!

For now though, it's been a great move and a top lesson in rotation.

Oh, think I'll start sit-ups tonight as the old excuse of needing fat around my middle for injecting purposes is now redundant. And, I have to end my lunch two mins early now to go inject in the toilet - they don't like it when you just drop your trousers for some reason. Discrimination I tell you.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Strangely enough I think I've been over-using my bum for my basal, was getting higher bg readings for reasons unkown then decided to just use my legs and all has been fine, will have to give the rear a break for a few months and return at some point, strange as there's no lumps or anything that is noticeable.

However, glad things have improved Scardoc, site rotation is important and we should all practice it more.

Reactions: 2 people