Going back on keto diet

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in a keto program called Virta. It was covered by insurance. I am in US. My insurance changed and I tried increasing carbs over the past year. I gained back weight, my A1C crept up.

I also have schizophrenia and am reading a book, “Brain Energy” by Christopher Palmer about keto and mental health.

I am going back to keto next week. It will be harder without the program. I looked into paying out of pocket but it is too expensive.

I am decreasing carbs this week. I am using an app called Cronometer to track macros and sync with devices.

• Optimistic
  • Friendly
Reactions: Tamarillo and filly

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for being proactive, it must be difficult for you with your mental health too. :) Can I ask why do you think you need a paid program to do a Keto diet? You really don’t need to you know, this is a Uk site so our medical care is free at source but our NHS doesn’t have any programs for Keto as far as I’m aware. Lots of us here do Keto, there is a wealth of info, recipes and even weekly plans on the web for free.

Have a look at the recipe thread on this forum for Keto dishes, also a great site that does have a monthly charge of about 12 dollars if you want to pay but has a vast amount of free information and recipes and even weekly plans is Diet Doctor. I’ve used it for years for free and I found it invaluable at the beginning. I’ve posted a link to Diet Doctor for you. You can join for the free trial but you don’t need to, just use the little drop down menu on the left hand side to navigate the site.

Good luck, you’ve taken the first step which is always the hardest :)