Good diet and active, why am I having high fasting BG?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Two things co e to my mind.

Are you eating lots of nightshade vegetables? Tomato, potato, eggplant or all forms of peppers? Nightshades are very inflammatory. How about dairy? It too can be inflammatory and as a saturated fat can cause bs issues.

If not getting into ketosis could you be over eating protein?

Protein is moderate, not very much at all, I can't really work out how I can be in gluconeogenesis, seems to break the laws of physics!!! Not carbs (not eating enough), not fat (still 0.3 blood ketones), maybe I am using protein but it is not because intake is excessive so it must be a mechanism that has gone awry....not eaten potatoes for a long time, having maybe 2 pepper 3-4 tomatoes a week, but this is recent as they are reasonable low carb for a bit of vegetable interest; not been that keen in the past but need a change from cabbage -;) I have had long periods without them, especially when I was trying to avoid having a hip replacement; never found a lot of difference although I know some people react to them.
Had not really been bothered with cheese and used a bit of lactofree milk until went low carb 4 weeks ago; switched to double cream in coffee (not loving it so not much!) and much more cheese, again to keep fat up, carb down. Prior to last month I bet I ate cheese once a month, if that. I do use grass fed butter, but when you don't eat bread and potatoes, you don't use much butter....again, intake up last 4 weeks as started putting it on veggies. The joint pain long predates introducing these foods, and I feel soooooo limited on choices to keep cabs to 30g and fat up that I am loathe to reduce my choices any more.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe up your fat via avocado, olive oil and afew nuts or seeds. Protein is hard for the body to break down for energy. You don't have to eat loads of fat but enough that your body doesn't go to protein.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Glink I had noticed you mentioned a couple times that you are not eating when your blood sugars are high. This can actually cause them to go higher if your liver decides that if you will not eat it will feed you. Maybe try eating something carb free such as a couple of scrambled eggs or some cheese and cold meats. Will save you feeling hangry and just might help to bring your levels down. If I do not eat my liver ensures that my sugars just keep climbing.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My liver doesn't keep it climbing indefinitely; only up to the low 7's so far (on metformin) and then it'll go back down if I don't eat anything for a while. If I fast long enough my sugars are pretty good but I run out of energy. The only other tools I have that work to lower my sugars are naps and a glass of wine, neither of which is always practical. For me exercise makes matters worse. I know this is not necessarily normal for prediabetes, but it's what my meter tells me.

Last edited:

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@120673, I don't know anything about the accuracy of home ketone testing, but in your place I'd focus on blood glucose and trying to figure out how to control that, rather than worrying about getting into official ketosis.

@Glink Ketone testing is just for curiosity really, part of trying to work out where the glucose is coming from. No idea what else to try to get glucose under control, no readings above 7.5 on low carb (great!), but no readings below 5.5 and mainly 6.5 even after exercise (gentle or vigorous), a glass of wine, a few carbs at night, a handful of almonds on awakening, less than 30 g of carbs, meditation, 16-8 eating, water fast - I think that is everything I read that can help!!...not sure how else I can approach it?!!!? Woke up at 7.1 today, might just stop testing as it is making me miserable and worried and seems totally unrelated to anything I do.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may need medication. I'm glad you already have an appt lined up and hope you get taken seriously despite your healthy lifestyle.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Glink Ketone testing is just for curiosity really, part of trying to work out where the glucose is coming from. No idea what else to try to get glucose under control, no readings above 7.5 on low carb (great!), but no readings below 5.5 and mainly 6.5 even after exercise (gentle or vigorous), a glass of wine, a few carbs at night, a handful of almonds on awakening, less than 30 g of carbs, meditation, 16-8 eating, water fast - I think that is everything I read that can help!!...not sure how else I can approach it?!!!? Woke up at 7.1 today, might just stop testing as it is making me miserable and worried and seems totally unrelated to anything I do.

Why are you dissatisfied with those readings?

They look like an excellent tight range to me, well under any levels that will cause damage and lead to long term complications.

Just because other people may 'live in the 4s' doesn't mean that is appropriate for your body.

I have been doing VLC for several years now, and I see fasting readings in the 7s and higher sometimes. Mainly in the 6s but it varies and that is OK.
Don't worry.
This is what your body is doing at the moment.
Just chill and let it be.

You only need to worry if you are getting readings at levels that will cause long term damage - and you are not at those levels!

Because I can only maintain that with extreme low carb and still cannot get a "normal" fasting glucose. I am concerned where this goes next and what happens if I cannot maintain the LCHF as I don't really enjoy my food right now. and not sure how realistic eating food you don't enjoy is long term. I am concerned about the extreme fatigue I experience. I am concerned about the joint pain I am getting....and I am assuming that if I ate a slice of melon the tight control would be blown and I am not sure I want to eat cabbage and broccolli exclusively for the rest of my days!! Just a sweet potato and an apple would be good....
This quest was symptom driven, not number driven, I want to be well, not get a number 4 on the meter

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You may never get what you consider a "normal" fasting glucose, I certainly don't although I am very strict low carb at less than 20 grams per day. The numbers you are reporting are not overly high and certainly not damaging. Many people struggle with fasting glucose numbers and there is not a whole lot you can do to beat your liver into submission other than pretty serious fasting which is not for everyone. You have a meter, have you tried a slice of melon? You might be surprised what you can eat if you do not go overboard on portions. If you have a look at keto websites you can find all kinds of recipes and new foods to try that you may like better than what you are eating now. You need to find a balance for yourself because you are right about not being able to maintain LCHF if you are not happy with the food. I wish you well and hope this is of help to you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then you need to put some effort into finding a sustainable way of making low carb work for you - and if you can't, then there ARE other options - medication being the obvious one.

People often struggle with low carbing until they realise that it isn't about what they can't have. It takes a while, and a fairly seismic shift in thinking, but it eventually turns into a way of eating and enjoying things that they can have. I certainly don't live on cabbage and broccoli. Although a good spiced baked red cabbage is a thing of beauty... And mashed broccoli with blue cheese has recently tickled my foodie tastebuds. The range of interesting things you can do with veg is fairly mind boggling, and I can eat a different and interesting thing every day for 3 months, if I want.

Regarding your fatigue, have you looked into your mineral and electrolyte balance? Are you drinking broth? Are you aware of the symptoms of magnesium, potassium and salt deficiency? Are you getting enough antioxidants?

Are you blaming your aches and pains on the diet? If so, I suggest that you do some research and find ways to adjust it.
The best book on creating a well designed low carb diet (that I have read so far) is by Voleck and Phinney - The Art And Science Of Low Carb'. It is a fascinating read, and provides an excellent toolkit to create your own way of eating that suits you, and will hopefully iron out the problems you are currently having.

Another great suggestion (as Chalup says) is to go hunting recipes that appeal. Just type in 'low carb ....... ' and read the recipes. I have found some fantastic gems that way. And one thing I have noticed about a lot of LC cooking is that it is fairly phaff free.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it sounds unrealistic to others, but your last post could have been written by me. I am an amazing cook with a pretty optimistic mindset, but it still gets me down when I have to go hungry in order to keep my #'s in the "pre" range. A year ago as long as I ate VLC I could get pretty normal readings, but it's gotten worse. I've been struggling lately over not being able to eat as much broccoli as I used to, without getting diabetic level fasting #'s the next day (and symptoms all night--hate that waking to wee and puffy morning hands!). In my mind broccoli should be "free"--it seems so healthy and wonderful!

I literally used to be vegan, and while I now eat meat & eggs & fish, it's a disappointment when all I can allow myself is meat & lettuce. I certainly don't have the answers, but I feel a lot of empathy for your words here. Sometimes things just happen and don't make a lot of sense. Until you see your doctor, try to relax as much as possible, and if you feel up to it do some experiments with your meter to better understand how specific foods affect you.