Groginess and dazed on waking up for work (dawn effect?)

cbooth5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Diagnosed T1DM last summer around 7 months and getting used to everything. The thing I don't understand is, I'm very fortunate with DAWN settling with sugars as it was a pain for a long time.

But I have noticed when waking up for work at 715-730ish, had a 7-8 hour sleep I'm very groggy/dazed hangover feeling and it takes me an hour or two to get out of this. What is it? This morning I woke up to correct sugars at 5am and honestly feel amazing in comparison. I might experiment but wondered if there is any reason for this e.g. does this coincide right after DAWN happens? Thanks in advance.,be interested if anyone else has any experience with this

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you have a CGM to enable you to look at your BG overnight?
The reason I ask is that the grogginess/hangover feeling you describe is how I feel after a night time hypo, especially one i slept through andy body "recovered" from.
It does not sound like Dawn Phenomenon (although the timing varies per person) if your BG is ok at that time.

cbooth5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a CGM to enable you to look at your BG overnight?
The reason I ask is that the grogginess/hangover feeling you describe is how I feel after a night time hypo, especially one i slept through andy body "recovered" from.
It does not sound like Dawn Phenomenon (although the timing varies per person) if your BG is ok at that time.

Thanks for the tip, I've got a CGM at the moment and just shows normal ranged although the odd one happens when I wake up and have to correct it. My CGM is quite reliable on the whole and does wake me up if it reads below 4.9, so I'm not sure what else to do!