Ham slices

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to have mustard ham slices or chicken/turkey or peppered roast beef slices as snacks.
How bad are these for you?
I thought they are just meat so would be ok but wonder how much processing they go through to get to the packet.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
According to a nutritionist I met, processed meats should only be eaten 2 times in a week... Not too sure why but that's the guidelines he gave me!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Providing your ham, chicken, turkey and beef are recognisable as having come from an animal then they are carb free. These are not bad for you and will not spike you. Carry on eating them.

When people talk of processed food they usually mean super processed food. I offer the kiev as an example. A factory in the Ukraine processes chicken and the unsightly ones get minced up and mixed with stuff to make kievs. When asked how many kievs they could make from one chicken breast they said six. My tests showed that one of them spikes me the same as a Mars bar. The stuff they mix with them is probably rusk.

Other processed foods which should really be avoided are all those things made out of flour and sugar (but no fat) which are packaged very often as ready meals. My local supermarket has shelves and shelves of the stuff.

Having said all that there are some processed foods which are OK like corned beef, Mathesons smoked pork sausage. and even original recipe KFC chicken pieces (with just a few fries).

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately, there aren't many places where you can still buy 'home cooked' meat sliced in front of you. Most meats, including those on the deli counters are processed in a factory. Have a look on the label, is it meat or meat+ something else. If it is a cured meat, how is it cured?

Sodium Nitrate?
Heres what the Mayo clinc says about this.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium-nitrate/AN02119
Phosphates?
Meats contain phosphates naturally but many processed meats(and other foods) contain added phosphates , some researchers have raised concern about eating large amounts of these particularly for people who are at risk of CVD or kidney problems.
http://www.mtbeurope.info/news/2012/1202012.htm

If you google' red and processed meats' you will find a whole raft of health concerns. Personally, I can never understand why they don't separate them out; there is a vast difference between a piece of beef you have just cooked with a few herbs and a piece of meat that has been treated for preservation and appearance in a factory.

Certainly I would limit how much I ate. At home to avoid exactly this, I now cook extra roast meat or more usually because of cost, a chicken specifically to eat cold at lunchtimes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
charon said:
How bad are these for you?

Everything in moderation, if you purchase your cold meats from a butchers shop there's a good chance the meats won't be highly processed compared to supermarket meats, however avoiding processed food on any diet is extremely difficult IMHO.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this is more trouble but i you do the math !! both in a wealth and health way .Try this Buy a gammon joint rom a good butcher .I can get al arge local produced one or £6 which I cut in half and freeze 1 half .
Roast the other and it will do 2 good roast dinners for 2 of us +enough for sandwich next day for OH and omelette for me . and it knocks the socks off bought ham taste wise :D
CAROL