having trouble getting ahead with health

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm yet to get treatment for a whiplash injury from the car accident I had 3 weeks back. My GP is still off sick so it has been real hard to get in to see another doc.

Well today I suddenly came down sick real quick.... like some weird attack. It started where I thought I was about to choke with a throat spasm, then the entire GI tract spasmed. I was going backwards and forwards to the toilet at work. Considering I had to walk the entire floor each way to get there I felt I was going to pass out a few times. I was beetroot red. So I tested my pulse and it was 120. Then I pulled out my thermometer I keep in my handbag and I had a slight temp at 37.5°c (I'm never normally over 37). I figured my BP was probably sky high considering how I felt. So I waited for a bit then decided I needed to try and get in to see my doc and staying at work was not going to help me.

I rang the doc surgery and they started out telling me there were no appointments available. I said ok can you please have a look at my last urinalysis test and tell me why I need to get it redone. So she checks and asks if I have had the test redone yet. I said well no because I haven't been able to get a doc appointment as yet to get the pathology request for the 2nd test. I said I'm really unwell right now and probably should be seeing a doc to get this test done. So she said ok we will squeeze you in at lunch today.

To cut it short it appears I could have another UTI, although it's not certain. But I've been told I need to start antibiotics straight away. My BP was 199/104 and heart rate was 114 so I got sent to the nurse to do a ECG straight away. That was normal. But then I got told that I did have a mild fever so infection suspected. I was sent off to pathology clinic for blood tests and urine test. I'll find the results out on Thursday when I go and see another doc (had that appointment already booked) to discuss my whiplash treatment. I've just been told to get to hospital if I have this again. I also got told to increase dosage of a med to help lower BP.

But tomorrow I'm off to see my gastroenterologist because I've been getting spasm attacks from my throat to bowel all at once and it only started this year. My GP thinks I'm getting worse. I don't know what he's going to say or be able to do tomorrow though as I've got a whiplash injury possibly impacting, plus a suspected UTI.

Ugh... fun & games. Fingers crossed I will get something solved eventually.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Will keep you in my positive thoughts and prayers. Seems like with the BP and the UTI that you are maybe dehydrated and electrolytes are difficult to manage for us diabetics.

Yes, I could have been dehydrated too as I was going to the toilet so much with bowel & bladder spasms. When I went for the blood tests that was the first thing they asked... have you had enough water today as your veins are hard to find. I replied I'd had plenty of water.

I still have spasms today so something isn't right. I checked my BP earlier and it is lower at 142/92 but that isn't a good number still either. But I tend to be higher with BP when I'm sick, just like my sugar levels tend to be higher as well. I'm making sure I drink plenty of water and I'm having a gastrolyte drink per day (won't have many of those due to salt content in them).

@chalup - thank you :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thinking of you @Mep . Nothing worse than feeling unwell and trying to manage your diabetes. I had some supplement with CoQ10 and magnesium, ala and selenium which gave me similar symptoms. Hence I haven't had it since. It's left me intermittently deaf in one ear.
You think your helping yourself but some interference can make things worse! I'm hoping just dislodged wax from my coughing fit.
Our bodies are strange at times. :confused:

Reactions: Mep

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly I found out today I don't have a UTI and my blood tests were normal. Then I headed off to see my gastroenterologist and that was a very interesting consult. I explained about the 'attacks' I've been getting with the latest one being yesterday and he said I have an autonomic nervous system fault which means it's highly likely if it is affecting my GI tract, it is affecting other areas of my body... aka: fibromyalgia. Great... I have another disease to add to my list. He said it is pointless seeking a diagnosis from a rheumatologist as I already have all the associated diseases along with visceral hypersensitivity of my GI tract which is an autonomic nervous system fault. So progress I guess that I'm finally getting more answers to these strange symptoms of mine. Oh yeh the mild fever I had yesterday is also a fibro symptom apparently. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tell the difference from one thing to another... it is starting to get rather confusing. I just know when I'm unwell though.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thinking of you @Mep . Nothing worse than feeling unwell and trying to manage your diabetes. I had some supplement with CoQ10 and magnesium, ala and selenium which gave me similar symptoms. Hence I haven't had it since. It's left me intermittently deaf in one ear.
You think your helping yourself but some interference can make things worse! I'm hoping just dislodged wax from my coughing fit.
Our bodies are strange at times. :confused:

Thanks :happy: Sorry to hear about your ear. :eek: It's a nuisance when things don't turn out well.