Hba1c

storryvickster

Dislikes
Unfairness of any description
Hi, I just wondered if anyone new if your bg readings on your monitor are 8s and nines what the hba1c rading would be, and also if the readings on the SD blood glucose montor that give a 7 day 14 day and 30 day reading..... are these the averages over that number of days, if so if the average over 30 days is 11.3 what would the hba1c be, I hope I am making sense!!

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hard to say, I would think maybe as a guess if those numbers for for 3 months then it would be above 13, maybe higher, I am sure someone here will now a better answer.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi,

Generally speaking your HbA1c will be lower than your average meter reading but as you are newly diagnosed dont be surprised if your first HbA1c is higher as you may have experienced a large drop in levels since diagnosis and your first HbA1c will reflect this higher activity as it measures the glucose that has been in your blood over the last 2 or 3 months. Once you get your levels controlled you should expect to see a lower HbA1c than your average meter readings.

Hope this helps

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
storryvickster said:
Hi, I just wondered if anyone new if your bg readings on your monitor are 8s and nines what the hba1c rading would be, and also if the readings on the SD blood glucose montor that give a 7 day 14 day and 30 day reading..... are these the averages over that number of days, if so if the average over 30 days is 11.3 what would the hba1c be, I hope I am making sense!!

You can use this form to convert average BG score to a HbA1c, but as Sid says, it's really a 3 month average, so if your BG is falling as you get better control, then your HbA1c will drop too:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-bloo ... erter.html

storryvickster

Dislikes
Unfairness of any description
Thanks, according to the converter if my average over 30 days is 11.3, then the Hba1c is 7. something, got to be better tam 12.3... 111 in new money, just wanted to know the low carbing was working an I am on the right track!!! :) Thanks again. Vicky

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
storryvickster said:
Thanks, according to the converter if my average over 30 days is 11.3, then the Hba1c is 7. something, got to be better tam 12.3... 111 in new money, just wanted to know the low carbing was working an I am on the right track!!! :) Thanks again. Vicky

That's fantastic progression, you should be very proud of yourself!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Also to add that depending on how many times you test a day will give you a closer indication of what your a1c will be, for example someone who tests 8-10 times should be closer than someone who tests 2 times with the same 30 day average....if that makes sense :roll: