Healthy Low Carb ‘Convenience’ Snack

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also go for nuts. I had a fatty liver and started eating walnuts intentionally. I still really like them. Also cashews are good when I’m active on the go.
Hi, yes I do enjoy nuts. Generally macadamia, Brazil and walnuts.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nuts (not peanuts, which are technically not nuts, but legumes), biltong (dried meat jerky snack), pork scratchings, cheese, salami.

I can tolerate some whole fruit like apples after a meal - so that may work for some.

Reactions: Grace04

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nuts (not peanuts, which are technically not nuts, but legumes), biltong (dried meat jerky snack), pork scratchings, cheese, salami.

I can tolerate some whole fruit like apples after a meal - so that may work for some.
Thank you for the reply. I stopped eating apples, I really should try one post meal and with blood monitor readings before and after. I do miss them.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the reply. I stopped eating apples, I really should try one post meal and with blood monitor readings before and after. I do miss them.
Everyone is different - and i'm finding (through CGM) that meal order can make a difference too, so eating it after a large protein/fat/fibre laden meal works for me. You can also try cooking apples like Bramley's which have less sugar. Some people might not like the tart taste, but I don't mind it at all.

Reactions: Antje77 and Grace04

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone is different - and i'm finding (through CGM) that meal order can make a difference too, so eating it after a large protein/fat/fibre laden meal works for me. You can also try cooking apples like Bramley's which have less sugar. Some people might not like the tart taste, but I don't mind it at all.
I did used to enjoy a Bramley in a crumble. I’ve made rhubarb crumble with a low carb topping, I’ll give Bramley apple crumble a go sometime soon.

Reactions: Antje77

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did used to enjoy a Bramley in a crumble. I’ve made rhubarb crumble with a low carb topping, I’ll give Bramley apple crumble a go sometime soon.
I meant eating raw - like a regular apple.

Eating an apple in the non-raw (cooked, pulped, or juiced), may well change the absorbability and its glycaemic impact.

Re-reading my statement, I should have said 'dessert apple' instead of 'cooking apple'.

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I meant eating raw - like a regular apple.

Eating an apple in the non-raw (cooked, pulped, or juiced), may well change the absorbability and its glycaemic impact.

Re-reading my statement, I should have said 'dessert apple' instead of 'cooking apple'.
Ah, okay thank you for clarifying. I think, as you say, I would probably find a Bramley too tart to eat as a dessert apple.