HELLO TO ALL

Sandwich-Phil

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling unwell
First of all I wish to say hello and introduce myself.

I have been diagnosed as T2 yesterday after a long drawn out test ending in the GTT and a reading of 20.0 two hours after drinking the glucose drink. My GP is great and even printed out info for me when I was given the news. I am glad that I have got a diagnoses as I have been unwell for years on and off, with my previous GP's not being very good.

I have had a rollercoaster of emotions in the last 24 hrs and started taken Metformin which I take two tablets after food ( one in the morning and the other at evening)

I have been reverted from a veggie diet back to very low carb diet day three now.

I have a couple of issues:

I feel so sick this evening, have very very watery stools, bad headache, nausea........

I have drank loads of water and have reduced my carbs down to less than 15g a day , no sugar.....

I am trying to be positive , after an hour of tears thinking that all I have to look forward to is feeling even worse day in day out .

Could someone tell be is it ok to take anti diarrhea meds with the metformin ?

Does anyone have some positive first step advice for me please because I am having a hard time this evening and dont know what to do !

Thank you

Phil

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going low carb can cause issues as well until your body adapts to it. The Atkins' folk call it "induction flu".

Part of what happens is you shed a lot of minerals, especially sodium, potassium and magnesium. Low carb doctors (Phinney & Volek) suggest drinking a couple of cups of bouillon a day of the first few weeks of the diet to replace the lost salt until your body makes the adaption.

I can't give you any advice on Metformin as I don't take it. A lot of folks can have gastro-intestinal problems with it at first, but I believe it usually settles down. Hopefully someone taking Metformin can advise you more.

Good luck with it,

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Phil :)
I have answered you on your other thread giving you the information for new members we give out. I hope you find it useful.