Help my Blood Sugar seems out of control

gillyflower

Hello
I have very high BS levels. This morning the reading was 23.

I have been very careful today - no fruit - no sugar of any kind - I had bacon & egg for breakfast(with a slice of bread) For lunch I had homemade cranks nut roast and salad with a baked potato. After each meal I had a good ride on my bike. Have only drunk water and tea with milk but no sugar.

At 4:15 my BS read 35.1 :(

Medication 3 * 500mg Metformin
2 * 80mg Glicazide
Been in touch with diabetic nurse at hospital and arranged an appointment to see doc tomorrow to check out meter and change of med.

Any suggestions would be great - as I am rather scared at the moment
Gill

smeatons

Hi Gill,

Hopefully you take a little bit of comfort in my story. I was diagonosed back in March ( take a look at this thread for full details - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20118 ). Back then, when I came out of hospital my numbers where down at 22/23, I was falling asleep all the time and suffering some side effects from the metformin. They up'ed by medication to 2x80g of Gliclazide and 2x1000mg of Metformin SR. That sorted out my sleeping and side effect issues.

Now my numbers are much better and infact I'm running low regularly in the late afternoon. As a result they have reduced my Glicazide back down to 1x80g. Now my numbers are between 3.4 (oops) and 10 depending on the time of day... it's usually around 6 when I wake up... so I'm looking forward to my H1bac test next week! In short though it is possible to get things back on track even when you are in the high 20s.

One thing that caused me to panic back then was that just having one slice of WHITE bread would send me sky high but I found that switching to brown/wholemeal bread caused less of a spike and as the drugs started to kick in (which took a few weeks) the spikes started to reduce even further. It seems to me that when I was starting from a high reading, any carbs I took on had a much bigger effect than if I was starting from a lower level - but that's my own non-scientific belief based on my own experience.

I'm sure others on this forum who know an awful lot more than I do will be along to offer some good advice, but talking to your diabetic nurse is definately a good start. Mine has been invaluable on my own journey and has been really supportive... as has reading posts in this forum.

regards,
David

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
gillyflower said:
Hello
I have very high BS levels. This morning the reading was 23.

I have been very careful today - no fruit - no sugar of any kind - I had bacon & egg for breakfast(with a slice of bread) For lunch I had homemade cranks nut roast and salad with a baked potato. After each meal I had a good ride on my bike. Have only drunk water and tea with milk but no sugar.

At 4:15 my BS read 35.1 :(

Medication 3 * 500mg Metformin
2 * 80mg Glicazide
Been in touch with diabetic nurse at hospital and arranged an appointment to see doc tomorrow to check out meter and change of med.

Hi,
Sorry to hear you are struggling, hope you soon feel better.
Just a couple of comments about your post.
You could try missing the bread at breakfast time and the baked potato at lunch would certainly send me too high.
Also it is not advised to exercise when your levels are over 13 (I think it is) as it can make you go higher.
Try drinking lots of water and cut out as many carbs as you can.
Hope you get on ok in the morning.
Angie

Any suggestions would be great - as I am rather scared at the moment
Gill

gillyflower

Thanks Angie
I haam getting the idea about carbs - but have not heard about the exercise thing - will check it out
Have a good day
Gill