Help please

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Where can I find a quick and easy list of total carbs/protein/sugars in common foods?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Supermarket websites are a good source of nutritional information or apps such as Nutracheck

• Friendly
Reactions: Paul41 and fumanchu

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where can I find a quick and easy list of total carbs/protein/sugars in common foods?
Please be careful around the words “total carbs”

In the USA and on their websites and recipes this wording will include fiber, which doesn’t need to be counted as it’s not digested and doesn’t raise glucose levels. Once they deduct fiber they then use the term net carbs. (Sometimes they also deduct polyols but that’s another topic as they do not all act in the same way).

Those USA net carbs are what we in the UK and most of the rest of the world simply call carbs (ie with fibre counted entirely separately). We don’t need to do any deductions for fibre and would end up with a falsely low amount if we did.

Sometimes a few uk based people use the same “total” carbs wording to mean including sugars, which to my mind is confusing and misleading. Our labels do list “of which sugars“ indented under the overall carb amount and those are already part of the (net) carb count. You only really need to bother with this “of which sugars” bit if the speed of sugars matters which is largely confined to type 1’s, and possibly T2 insulin users. Otherwise ignore it and count whatever is in the “carbs” listing.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Please be careful around the words “total carbs”

In the USA and on their websites and recipes this wording will include fiber, which doesn’t need to be counted as it’s not digested and doesn’t raise glucose levels. Once they deduct fiber they then use the term net carbs. (Sometimes they also deduct polyols but that’s another topic as they do not all act in the same way).

Those USA net carbs are what we in the UK and most of the rest of the world simply call carbs (ie with fibre counted entirely separately). We don’t need to do any deductions for fibre and would end up with a falsely low amount if we did.

Sometimes a few uk based people use the same “total” carbs wording to mean including sugars, which to my mind is confusing and misleading. Our labels do list “of which sugars“ indented under the overall carb amount and those are already part of the (net) carb count. You only really need to bother with this “of which sugars” bit if the speed of sugars matters which is largely confined to type 1’s, and possibly T2 insulin users. Otherwise ignore it and count whatever is in the “carbs” listing.
Yes I know that, I just meant the total of fat/protein/carbs/sugar etc.

Reactions: HSSS