High blood sugar during birth

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon all, I have type 2 diabetes and kept it strictly controlled during pregnancy. I went for an induction at 40+5, and (after no contractions started after the first interventions), I got Syntocinon on a drip and later a Diamorphine injection. I have massive memory gaps, but know that my blood sugar levels went astronomical, up to 20mmol/l. It took a day or so after birth and strict dieting before those levels went back to normal. Does anyone have an explanation how this could have happened?? I did a debrief, but there was nothing in my notes about glucose injections or so. The midwife said it may just have been the effort of the birth?! I am worried there was some intervention, which I really want to be aware of and avoid the next time.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know why this happened but mine went up too. Was really good throughout the pregnancy and shot up after the birth for a day or two. But it did settle and that was a year ago now. Your body has been through so much so not surprising I guess. People get high blood sugars when unwell too.

Reactions: Munkki