High Blood Sugars During the Night!!

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! I'm 28 years old and have been a Type 1 for 26 years now. I live in the U.S., so I'm not sure how to translate my BG readings, but 80-120 is the goal for readings here. Over 200 is a very high BG.

Im currently 23 weeks pregnant and for the past two weeks, I've been having high blood sugars from 12am until 3am during the night. I went up to 324 last night (the highest I've ever been during pregnancy). I've been increasing my insulin intake during that time on my pump, but I feel SO guilty with these highs, especially because I was in such tight control the first 20 weeks. I am just worried that I'm hurting my baby and I'm SO scared. I have been searching for a community of people who can understand because I know ZERO people with Type 1 in my real life and have always struggled to find peers. Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lyndsay, we have a similar diabetes background I am also type 1, 28 years old, was diagnosed aged 3.

Sorry to hear about the problems your having during with night, have you spoken to your diabetes care team? I can't really offer any advise how to help with it as I am currently trying for a baby, not been pregnant myself.

What kind of things are you eating on an evening? Could your bg be spiking later on?

Abbie x

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! Thanks for responding! I have an appointment with my endocrinologist in a few days, but I really don't have a team here to call except his nurses. I usually have to eat something small like bread with peanut butter or apple and juice because my sugar is really low before going to bed. I think it spikes up after that during the night, but I can't leave it alone because I'm talking REALLY low, 33-45 in American BGs.

That's exciting that you are trying. I used an app on my phone called GLOW and it worked the first month I tried it. Four of my friends who used it are also currently pregnant or already had their kids. You should try it! :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Lins, have you had your appointment yet? Just wondered if you got any help, I'm sure you have already, but what about setting an alarm for the time you thin you bg is going high and doing a correction on your pump? Have you already tried changing the basal rate for the times it's going higher? I will defo try that app thank you! :) xx

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey! My appointment is tomorrow. I have been waking up to try and correct it, but it's crazy that it doesn't work. I have been reading that in this point of the pregnancy you begin to become insulin resistant and have to CONSTANTLY change your basal. I just feel guilty every time I go high and wanted to know if anybody else feels the same way and if their baby was okay! It's terrifying being pregnant, but adding diabetes on top of it is hard! Thanks for the response, and I hope the app will help! :)