High sugars after overnight expressing

Leigh Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, has anyone else experienced high blood sugars after doing a 3am/early morning express? My levels generally run on the low side during the day but for some reason when I do an express during the night and before breakfast they rise. I had a similar problem when exercising before breakfast so I'm guessing it may be down to the same thing. Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Leigh

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can only think your body is releasing hormones due to the stress of getting up in the night. Ive found that before when I've been up late or had to work at nights. I haven't found it with breast feeds or pumps, but it seems the logical explanation.

You're on a pump? I'd be tempted to get advice from a DSN who's familiar with post-natal issues (maybe a pregnancy one). How high do your sugars go? If you're confident you could try a tiny corrective dose on your pump, but I'd start off very, very cautiously and see the effect.

My other thought is could you be going low earlier in the night and then having a compensatory high later?

Leigh Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Azure. I think I figured it out. I have gastroparesis and had eaten a steak for dinner followed by dessert. The dessert obviously affected my sugar levels a lot later on. My levels have been dropping ever since so will adjust my pump accordingly. Thanks again. Leigh

Reactions: 2 people